Guidelines for printed paper targets

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Guidelines for printed paper targets

Post by sreed »

On a recent project I printed numerous paper targets (8 1/2 x 11) for use in registration. I have done this in the past using the template available on this forum and it works fine from our Brother printer. But our Brother printer was low on toner, so I printed on a much nicer printer in our office. Each target was identified with a code (eg: A32, F18, etc) using mail merge in Microsoft Word, and includes some color logo/branding imagery and contact details.

We didn't find out until registering the project that the printed targets were largely not usable. See attached images of exterior scan intensity, exterior scan color, and same targets interior scan intensity. Note that the square-on scans were unidentifiable.

Can anyone provide a useful, simple guideline for printing targets? I have read many posts on this forum and they are either too basic (eg: "flat, no gloss, no laminate") or too complex (eg: laser penetration analysis, medium for posters, etc). This is a very basic error on our part and i'm hoping I can find some guidelines without having to test various combinations of our printer settings/color/greyscale/paper/etc.

Thanks!
IntensityOutside.jpg
ColorOutside.jpg
IntensityInside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Guidelines for printed paper targets

Post by steves01x »

Water proof paper - used 3 different laser printers and all be fine so far, although depending on the angle and surface (not flat) they have been stuck to haven't been picked up but i would always attempt to have proper targets as it makes registration a lot quicker and accurate!

Or just get some HDS targets or spheres!
MarkL
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lupton
Company Details: Wolverton
Company Position Title: LASER Scanning
Skype Name: [email protected]

Post by MarkL »

I once had an issue where the targets had been printed using the color setting instead of b/w. They completely washed out using a P20. We weren't 100% that it was the ink or the paper, but they came out of the usual printer so we assumed the color setting was to blame. Since you changed printer, you could have a look at the settings and see if it defaulted to color.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

I have noticed this depending on the ink that is being used. When traveling and using an unfamiliar printer I always test them beforehand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by hypsometric »

the angle of incidence of a paper target to a scanner should never be 0... I think thats the problem... you could do better with different paper and ink but the glare at 0@90 is always very intense
zoltan
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Zoltan Ferenczy
Company Details: ClearEdge3D
Company Position Title: Industry Strategist

Post by zoltan »

Instead of using Word, you can easily print serialized targets with logos and text using TargetMill.

http://www.target-mill.com/

You should experiment with the level of grey on different printers. Some laser printers have a very shiny toner and a dark grey works better. Some have a very matte toner and pure black works best.
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich

Post by tomii7 »

MarkL wrote:nce had an issue where the targets had been printed using the color setting instead of b/w. They completely washed out using a P20. We weren't 100% that it was the ink or the paper, but they came out of the usual printer so we assumed the color setting was to blame. Since you changed printer, you could have a look at the settings and see if it defaulted to color.
I had the same issue with P20 (now is fine). Printed target were with a little different black ^^' (grey colour based on colour ink and slightly different dark in word- grey...). Them on site strange not recognizing target proper. Actually we're using only using black ink:) and proper dark (black target) in word or pdf document.
and on the other hand using -/+ angle 30°.
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi,

there is an very important issues. If you have to much green color in your printing, it will not work. Specially if you work with jet printer, you have this issues. It is better using only laser printer with toner. This works, but it lock like same times also sun lighting is an issues for detecting target perfect.

The checker targets from our shop, we check with different scanner in different light conditions to be sure, that they works. But they are not printing.

It think also, that the new X series from FARO works different from former focus series.

regards.. ..Eric
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

Hello guys, I am running into this issue with our S plus.
Im using a laser printer.. all good info on here. The edges where the white and black meet seem jagged or missing information in the 3d view.

I wonder if the paper has an inpact also.
I tried printing in black and white and I am getting mixed results.

I thought that you wanted to scan targers at "straight on, or head on", as possible.

Are you guys saying that the laser is creating too much glare?

How diffrent is an "HD" target mentioned on the previous post ?
bsousa
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brian Sousa
Company Details: Sousa Land Surveys
Company Position Title: President

Post by bsousa »

I get the best results with greyscale selected in the print settings instead of black and white or color. The issue is that the black and white setting causes the black to be highly reflective and not distinguishable from the intensity of the returns of the white paper.

Return to “Registration Software”