I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dustin Coody
Company Details: Olson Engineering
Company Position Title: Pipe Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

AutoCAD COE Export into TruView

Post by dcoody »

Looking for assistance with the AutoCAD COE Export function.

Our company uses is using the CADWorx plugin for AutoCAD as well as Cloudworx to create models based on existing scan data. These scans are registered based on the plant monument systems for coordinates so everything lines up in the model and the field. We also use TruView to look at the scans of the existing components in the field.

We recently started trying to utilize the COE Export to TruView so that we can open up our models in TruView to review with clients. Using this we can look at the photos taken by the scanner with the model visible. The clients like to see this and it is very helpful.

I know there is a way to bring our AutoCAD model into Cyclone and then publish the TruView, but we do not want that. We are trying to import our AutoCAD model into the original scan file at any point during the design process to show different configurations as we move forward in a project.

The problem I am having is after I export the CAD model then open it up in TruView it is never where it is supposed to be. It looks to me like the coordinates are not lining up with each other. The scale factor looks right because our CAD objects are coming in and look the right size but it just puts it off in space. I select the Control UCS option in TruView before I open up the exported COE file but that doesn't seem to help.

This is a good deal of explaining for what seems to be a simple problem but just wanted to give background. I could not find a similar post about this on the site I apologize if it is answered somewhere else.

We do use Navisworks to review our models with scans attached, but being able to see our model inserted into the pictures the scanner takes is what we are trying to achieve.

Thanks for the help.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: AutoCAD COE Export into TruView

Post by geomontgomery »

I can get it to come in, CADWorx 2020 R2 SP1, AutoCAD 2022. A custom UCS or BASE command doesn't seem to confuse the COE export either.

When the cloud was imported to Cloudworx did the designer use the wrong coordinate system? That's the only thing I can think of if you've already checked the correct UCS is selected in TruView.
dcoody
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dustin Coody
Company Details: Olson Engineering
Company Position Title: Pipe Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: AutoCAD COE Export into TruView

Post by dcoody »

I use CADworx 22 and Autocad 22 as well.

I am a designer as well as CAD admin. I am usign the correct UCS when designing and making sure my UCS is set to World when i export the COE file.
When I bring the model into TruView I select the Control UCS in TruView and it comes in with the North-South East-West lined up correctly but just off in space.

I am working with my survey crew who registers to see if there are some kind of TruView settings on the Cyclone end that we are missing somehow.

Thanks

Return to “Leica Geosystems”