Full Name: Jemma Pastirova
Company Details: Bridgeway Consuting Ltd
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Atlas SCC Recommended PC Specs?

Post by Jemma »

Hi,

Happy New Year to you all :D

I wondered if anyone had any information on recommended PC Specs for using SCC Atlas please ?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Atlas SCC Recommended PC Specs?

Post by smacl »

Jemma wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:41 am Hi,

Happy New Year to you all :D

I wondered if anyone had any information on recommended PC Specs for using SCC Atlas please ?
Hi Jemma,

It depends very much on how big the point clouds you're working on will be. For larger point clouds SCC likes a decent CPU with lots of threads, and a reasonable amount of RAM. It doesn't currently make much use of the GPU (though this will change quite soon) and only uses the disk when loading and saving data. For good price/performance on medium size jobs (e.g. 300-500 million points) I'm finding i9 10 series PCs with 64GB ram, 2TB SSD and non dedicated graphics card work well and come in at about £1,200 in this part of the world. For a higher end new build, 128GB of ram and an Intel i9 13 series or AMD 7950x CPU with mid range nVidia GPU would greatly improve on the performance on larger jobs. You'll see further performance gains on high end threadripper processors with a price to match. You can also tile very large point clouds on input to work with huge data on modest hardware, e.g. if you have 100km of road, automatically break it down into 10km stretches.

If you let me know what scanners or photogrammetry setup you're currently using I can give a more detailed spec. I know Bridgeway were using the Leica MS60 for engineering jobs a few years ago but haven't been in contact of late,

Shane
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Atlas SCC”