V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Display point cloud/CAD objects on mobile device

Post by gordonired »

I have been searching for software that can display point clouds and CAD objects (.stl obj fbx etc) together at once, on either an ipad or phone. I wanted to go the autodesk route as we always use Navisworks for PC, but it's a gongshow between bim glue not really being a thing, and apps that have terrible reviews, and more subscriptions for things we'd never use.

Is anyone here using something like this to show off scans/objects to customers while in the field? I am aware of potree, but I'd like to have something that I can upload and forget about it, hassle free SaaS, along those lines. Thanks.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Display point cloud/CAD objects on mobile device

Post by Kruse »

For combining point cloud data and models together on mobile devices, the only real success we've had is with Cintoo Cloud. It's another paid service where you pay per setup hosted, but we load all our BIM Models and laser scan data there. On a computer, you have full functionality of the point cloud and BIM Models, but when using it on mobile, it gets simplified a bit to allow easier navigation since you don't have a keyboard and mouse. But it still works really well for us as long as you have a solid internet or cell connection.

For a really good model viewer on mobile apps, look into Trimble Connect viewer. They also make a Trimble Connect AR viewer, which is a paid service, but we've dropped BIM Glue alltogether for those two services mentioned above.
kmevans85
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kurt Evans
Company Details: Point3D
Company Position Title: Technical Sales and Support

Post by kmevans85 »

We have several solutions we use for this. One we really like runs through publishing to a server so you can access it from any device as long as you have the log in. Pm me your info and we can give you a hand.
Last edited by kmevans85 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Gianni Epinotto
Company Details: GC CM
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by fpensa »

Revizto for an actual tablet app. Otherwise we use BloomCE but it has not a dedicated app, it works on a web-browser
kpob46
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Post by kpob46 »

fpensa wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:28 pm Revizto for an actual tablet app. Otherwise we use BloomCE but it has not a dedicated app, it works on a web-browser
How has your experience been with Bloom CE?
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Gianni Epinotto
Company Details: GC CM
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by fpensa »

kpob46 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm
How has your experience been with Bloom CE?
Pretty good so far, we've been with them for a while now, it fit our needs pretty good and the customer support is great. However, we don't use it for the stations registration (we have a Leica, and we register in Cyclone 360).
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

gordonired wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:27 pm I have been searching for software that can display point clouds and CAD objects (.stl obj fbx etc) together at once, on either an ipad or phone. I wanted to go the autodesk route as we always use Navisworks for PC, but it's a gongshow between bim glue not really being a thing, and apps that have terrible reviews, and more subscriptions for things we'd never use.

Is anyone here using something like this to show off scans/objects to customers while in the field? I am aware of potree, but I'd like to have something that I can upload and forget about it, hassle free SaaS, along those lines. Thanks.
You missed the Veesus Zappcha post on LSF July 6,2022 of what I consider the best, free software to display large point clouds (I have 2 billion points on a single project) on an iphone or ipad.

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 32#p100832

4.ZAPPCHA-CITY-HALL-IMG-6625.jpg

I have not tried any CAD files, but the point clouds work very well, with 12 files on my iPhone 13 ProMax ranging in size from 200M to 2B points.

You might check on the Veesus download site to see they have any other tools that would be helpful.

https://veesus.com/downloads-page/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator

Post by gordonired »

@dhirota - you are bang on for displaying point clouds. We tried the veesus product and loved it. However it doesn't look like they are implementing CAD objects anytime soon

@fpensa - thanks for those suggestions, I'll be looking into them

Return to “General Chat”