I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Lueker
Company Details: 308 Systems
Company Position Title: 308 Systems
Linkedin Profile: No

Race car scan by Mech Eng student

Post by 308systems »

Hi, my son is a mechanical engineering student and would like to scan his race car for import into SolidWorks to do some computational fluid dynamic modeling on it.

Both of us know nothing about handheld 3D scanners and would love to get recommendations on the appropriate hardware to rent and where to rent it. Are there any 3D scanning Android apps that would work?

Being a student, budget is critical for him.

Thanks!!

Mark
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Re: Race car scan by Mech Eng student

Post by badam »

I think you should try photogammetry there are lot of tools to get a decent model. Just place a scale to your model, so you'll be able to rescale the pointcloud to the correct values.

Just take lot of images and import it to a photogammetry software like (reality capture pay as you go,metashape, webodm,etc)
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Christy
Company Details: Veesus Ltd Arena4D.
Company Position Title: Technology Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Mark,

We provide a Point Cloud plugin for SolidWorks along with a free iOS App that allows you to scan and capture point cloud data from a Lidar enabled iOS device.

If he's happy hosting the captured point cloud in "The Cloud" for working on it then our scanning software and plugin is FREE for him to use with some limitations. To remove a lot of the plugin limitations it's only £2.99 a month.. hopefully that's student friendly enough pricing! :)

Please see more here:
https://www.zappcha.com
and
https://www.veesus.com

Many Thanks

Mark
EduardoC
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Eduardo Colmenares
Company Details: JP Global Digital
Company Position Title: Project Engineer

Post by EduardoC »

308systems wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:14 pm Hi, my son is a mechanical engineering student and would like to scan his race car for import into SolidWorks to do some computational fluid dynamic modeling on it.

Both of us know nothing about handheld 3D scanners and would love to get recommendations on the appropriate hardware to rent and where to rent it. Are there any 3D scanning Android apps that would work?

Being a student, budget is critical for him.

Thanks!!

Mark
Hi Mark! you can use Reality Capture Software to produce a good point cloud using photos by your mobile; I have tried photogrammetry for some projects and the results are good enough. The other option (if you have an iPhone pro 13/14) is using those sensors to scan the car. for point clouds with ultra-high definition, I recommend you use the manual scanner as Creaform, but I don't know the price for renting it.
BCRD
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jason Wiebe
Company Details: Bear Creek R and D
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by BCRD »

Did the OP ever find a solution? Where is he located?
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Hi Mark,

Seeing that he is not intending a high level CFD since he is using SW, you can get by roughly modeling the car from images or using an iPhone and photogrammetry.

SW doesn't have manual meshing capabilities so you would you need to remodel the car into surfaces and then mesh it. Don't expect to scan it and then it will run directly.

Depending on his year level, he might be interested to check Ansys. At least a decade ago it was free for students including all their other programs. While conducting CFD on SW is good enough for small and medium companies, students should get familiar with higher end software which caters to high level industrial applications as well as entry level. Software like Catia, Siemens NX, Nastran, Abaqus and other packages is very hard to get access to once you graduate. You can scale down easily but going up the ladder is much harder.

That said, SW tutorials were excellent getting me into CAD and FEA.

If he is in the UAE, I would've helped a fellow ME to be.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”