I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mikael K
Company Details: unemployed
Company Position Title: unemployed
Linkedin Profile: No

Hardware & Software for room photo scan with depth

Post by Mikael79 »

Hi, newbee here.

There is a lot of different types of scanners and solutions, so I hope for some advice on what is relevant in my case. I am a bit confused about how much it takes to be able to scan a tight/small room in a house with interior, looking as sharp as a high quality picture, seeing details in the wood and so on, but at best having the depth too. It shall be posted on the web.

I assume that in the case of standing in a point and navigate around 360 degrees, it can just be done with a regular cheap 360 / VR camera?

Some months ago I tried Matterports app on my Android phone, but it was not a success.
I would like to avoid to pay high prices to Matterport to post it on the web, what are the options for DIY?

As mentioned, what if I want the depth too, to be able to move around more free/fluid around like in a game or in VR. Can an Iphone with lidar do the trick with acceptable quality? Would I need a high end camera? What are the differences - speed?

BTW I have a kinect v2 camera, but I guess that is old tech by now. I have installed Unreal Engine, could that be a relevant software for this.
Mikael79
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Re: Hardware & Software for room photo scan with depth

Post by Mikael79 »

Was my question too basic, too broad or ?

I looked up Iphone scans and it looks like the quality with colors is still a problem.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Scott.Warren »

While many on this forum would be pursuing cheap and reliable solutions to 3D mapping, we don't see many posts trying to be the most basic and cheap solution. I imagine people are hesitant to answer because your questions are to be on the lower end of quality/accuracy and seem to lack some basic info you need to know for yourself:

What are you making in 2D/3D (filetype ?)
Roughly how are you intending on making your 2D/3D image or object (hardware/sensor, are you using a phone, a nice SLR, or a separate device)
Can your hosting service deal with 'X' filetype, or Y size of a project

360 images are a 2D object, and don't by themselves have depth. you can get color coded 360 images where the color is the depth map, but not supper common. this is the cheapest, but you are limited to the POV of the image, you'd only be able to hop from 360 image to image.

A mesh is a 3D object made of thousands of triangular planes created from the vertices of points. this can be detailed enough to zoom into and see high detail. This however is very dependent on capture workflow, the image sensors you use, AND the software together. If you cheap out on any of these 3, your product will suffer.

A point cloud is 3d object, a collection of vertices in space. will be gaps visually in between the points, unlike a mesh.

Not a comprehensive list of things you can make. and not all devices will be able to create these.

Matterpoint's hardware is a common lowest-entry scanning & mapping solution as a complete product. There are some free hosting software's, but they are specific to types of data (like Potree and point clouds), and its not a plug and play experience if you want it to be free/super cheap.

Food for thought.
chris_d
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Dordoni
Company Details: laser scanning and CAD modeling
Company Position Title: scanning technician

Post by chris_d »

Its possible a photogrammetry only solution might be workable if that is all you have the budget for.
I'm not familiar with Unreal Engine, so I can't comment on that.
Simlab does have VR creation software and viewers, but its not free.

Reality Capture and Metashape can build reasonable quality 3D models with texture from photos, you would probably want to use a DSLR or equivalent rather than a cell phone camera, although I have seen some 3D models from cell phone photos that are not terrible. (I really mean photos, not the Lidar that some cell phone cameras have, which does not appear to be usable quality as far as I have seen)

If you do the photogrammetry route you should be prepared to invest in some lighting that you can bring onsite, as well as training, to understand how to get the best quality photos for photogrammetry.
Mikael79
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mikael79 »

Thank you. Got to start somewhere.

I am actually asking for info for both cases. The price and complexity will determine whether I will start with 2D images only or go with depth.
3.600 dollars is durable, but is that even needed for this or would it cost more to make a decent quality? I have found 360 cameras around like 500 dollars.

360 images, 2D images put together, that is photogrammetry, right?

1. If I do 360 images in a quality high enough to see furniture details in a room, like patterns in the wood and so on, in other words realistic, I am thinking at least 4k, what kind of 360 camera/price level should be used for this? Lighting is noted, thx.
1.a Will there be software included to make this walk from point to point experience? Would I still need a pay service to get it on my website? Or it depends on whether my webhosting support these formats, If I got you right?

2. If I want the next step, a 3D model - a mesh, that is with depth, so no point to point, but it would be more like walking around in a game. Still at first to be shown on a 2D screen. The quality need to be the same as mentioned above.
In that case I assume that I will need a lidar scanner and perhaps these Potree and point clouds formats or Reality Capture and Metashape which is 2D to 3D where the quality might be an issue?
What kind of price level would make sense for a scanner in this case?

Unreal Engine supports VR and several studios use it for that.
Mikael79
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Mikael79 »

Btw What about windows and mirrors?
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

Mikael79 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:45 am Thank you. Got to start somewhere.

I am actually asking for info for both cases. The price and complexity will determine whether I will start with 2D images only or go with depth.
3.600 dollars is durable, but is that even needed for this or would it cost more to make a decent quality? I have found 360 cameras around like 500 dollars.

360 images, 2D images put together, that is photogrammetry, right?

1. If I do 360 images in a quality high enough to see furniture details in a room, like patterns in the wood and so on, in other words realistic, I am thinking at least 4k, what kind of 360 camera/price level should be used for this? Lighting is noted, thx.
1.a Will there be software included to make this walk from point to point experience? Would I still need a pay service to get it on my website? Or it depends on whether my webhosting support these formats, If I got you right?

2. If I want the next step, a 3D model - a mesh, that is with depth, so no point to point, but it would be more like walking around in a game. Still at first to be shown on a 2D screen. The quality need to be the same as mentioned above.
In that case I assume that I will need a lidar scanner and perhaps these Potree and point clouds formats or Reality Capture and Metashape which is 2D to 3D where the quality might be an issue?
What kind of price level would make sense for a scanner in this case?

Unreal Engine supports VR and several studios use it for that.
Regarding your question 1.:
2D 360° panorama images, the quality and these questions are depending on which system you buy.
I have seen systems where you can integrate a sort of floor plan and place the positions of the taken images yourself and show them online, I have seen cameras which only take a 360° image and that's it, if you want more you need to build something yourself (Google has an open panorama tool as far as I remember - https://github.com/google/marzipano).

Regarding 2.:
A 3d model and a mesh are in my opinion two different things.
A 3d model is something which consists of only artificial selected compounds, so defined by the user/software, while a mesh are triangulated points. Either way if you want to go down that route, the starting is Matterport ( https://matterport.com/ ) or giraffe ( https://www.giraffe360.com/ ) or something like that, but these normally come with proprietary software.
To upgrade that you'll need a "real" laser scanner like FARO, Leica, Trimble, Riegl, ZF, registration software, and modelling software.
Photogrammetry (stereo photography (same scene, different camera positions) where you calculate a mesh and/or point cloud) might be a way as well, but don't know how good this solution is for indoors, if your rooms are without furniture, this will most likely fail.

Regarding windows and mirrors:
With 2d images they are normally captured.
With scanning: Forget it.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jedfrechette »

Mikael79 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:28 pmhow much it takes to be able to scan a tight/small room in a house with interior, looking as sharp as a high quality picture, seeing details in the wood and so on, but at best having the depth too.
My 0.2c.

If photorealism on a budget is your primary goal and 3D information is optional, I would highly suggest just forgetting the 3D part and sticking to 360 photo bubbles. There is a reason 360 bubbles are the go to solution for things like real-estate tours and Google Street view. They are cheap and easy to construct and look good. Building photo realistic full 3D environments is orders of magnitude more expensive. If you're planning to do this for more than one or two rooms the $100k+ you're going to spend on a "good" capture setup is going to pale in comparison to the amount of money you'll need to spend on labor to actually build the environments once you've done the scans and captured your photos.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the 3D Matterport results photo realistic, but if that level of quality meets your needs they're one of the few I'm aware of in that niche and you're probably not going to come up with cheaper solutions than what they offer.
Jed

Return to “General Chat”