New robotic kit

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

New robotic kit

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Hi guys,

The Sokkia i use is about 11 years old. Time for something new.

I'd like some opinions.

The main stuff i do for the moment is : construction sites (measuring, staking,...) and control networks. Not so much boundary anymore.

I was thinking about getting a 1" or 2".

Shoot!
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Re: New robotic kit

Post by Scott.Warren »

One of the newer features I think is neat is not needing to hold the rod/prism level;
https://leica-geosystems.com/products/t ... 0-autopole

Could save some time/setups if your ok with adding ~2-3mm of uncertainty in a point. Also adds some safety, like capturing stuff on the side of the road without needing to be in the roadway itself.

Not sure what else may have changed in Total Station Tech.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Scott.Warren wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:14 pm One of the newer features I think is neat is not needing to hold the rod/prism level;
https://leica-geosystems.com/products/t ... 0-autopole

Could save some time/setups if your ok with adding ~2-3mm of uncertainty in a point. Also adds some safety, like capturing stuff on the side of the road without needing to be in the roadway itself.

Not sure what else may have changed in Total Station Tech.
The AP20 is a great device, but the uncertainty is a function of how far off level the pole is. If you are holding at an significant angle off-level to get inaccessible detail as I've seen done, uncertainty (accuracy) is much worse, e.g. at a 1.6m target height and 30 degrees off level, we're talking about ~18mm of uncertainty. From https://leica-geosystems.com/-/media/fi ... A0653D9482
ap20.jpg
Our UK agent is also a Geomax reseller and I'm hearing good feedback on this kit in terms of price / performance. Geomax is also Hexagon product with similar hardware to the Leica but different software and a lower price tag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Least
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Patrick
Company Details: 360G
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Least »

The AP20 is great when working correctly, so quick on an open site, not so good on a tight site with line of sight obstructions as you'll spend a lot of time re-initialising the tilt function.
Leica are ironing out a number of bugs, with the recent firmware release making it very usable and the next release should see all the major bugs gone.

For general topo work it removes user error holding the pole vertically and it is very quick. Setting-out: I have set-out some point with a mini prism and checked with the AP20 and they tied to within a few mms. It can display the expected tilt error on screen and you can choose to accept or discard a point over a preset limit. The tilt function can be turned off, or if there is too much tilt error you can always simply meaure an offset as before. The error is mostly in the horizontal plane, vertical error is low. The auto pole height is also amazing.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

If you have the budget get an SX10/12
Its a great TS and can be used for long shots or for evolution scanning (ones where you scan every year to compare for movement)
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Thanks fot the replies guys.

I'm really not interested in the ap20 as i don't do much lineair topo anymore.

It is mainly for construction and control networks (where tilt is a no go).

A ts with scanning function is not applicable as i already have 2 scanners to my disposal.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:52 am Thanks fot the replies guys.

I'm really not interested in the ap20 as i don't do much lineair topo anymore.

It is mainly for construction and control networks (where tilt is a no go).

A ts with scanning function is not applicable as i already have 2 scanners to my disposal.
Hi Lieven,

In your position I'd get the vendors to come out and do a demo for you of the same site of your choosing, which includes control you've already set up and points or design to set out. That way you can quickly get a feel for which solution is most efficient, meets your accuracy needs and gives value for money. Quite a bit comes down to personal preference on the workflow for on-board software, where good tools for taking rounds of angles can greatly speed up your field time and overall quality. Leica, Trimble, Geomax and Topcon are all work a look and may offer different deals. For control, I'd personally avoid any solution that does not let you download all observations and only provides means averaged on board the instrument. I'd also look at how easy it is to combine with RTK and/or static GPS. At this stage, I think most of the instruments do the basics well, so it is a matter of price, performance, accuracy and personal preference. Also worth considering which sellers offer local servicing and calibration and lead times.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

For construction I would go with a Leica TS16 and a MPR122 prism (2"accuracy). I dont do construction but from feedback from our team the leica has more tools better suited than trimble.
For Topo I would get a Trimble S7 and a Multitrack prism (5" accuracy but amazing tracking compared to leica).
Get a good traverse prism for any of those 2 options (i.e. the GPH1P). Note that the Leica are known to have better reflectorless accuracy, so that is usefull for checkerboard for your scan controls. Trimble do faily ok with reflectorless in my experience when comparing with our TS16. I run both TS, I use the leica for traverses and 3d scan controls and the trimble for topo, having the r12i on top of the multitrack is just the best combo and switching between both is instant. I prefer hands down the controller of trimble over leica. Leica has a dated UI that is not as fast ergonomic as trimble, they need an update. Trimble the interface of the controler is extremelly efficient and ergonomic,the TSC7 is just amazing.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Kruse »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:16 pm For construction I would go with a Leica TS16 and a MPR122 prism (2"accuracy). I dont do construction but from feedback from our team the leica has more tools better suited than trimble.
For Topo I would get a Trimble S7 and a Multitrack prism (5" accuracy but amazing tracking compared to leica).
Get a good traverse prism for any of those 2 options (i.e. the GPH1P). Note that the Leica are known to have better reflectorless accuracy, so that is usefull for checkerboard for your scan controls. Trimble do faily ok with reflectorless in my experience when comparing with our TS16. I run both TS, I use the leica for traverses and 3d scan controls and the trimble for topo, having the r12i on top of the multitrack is just the best combo and switching between both is instant. I prefer hands down the controller of trimble over leica. Leica has a dated UI that is not as fast ergonomic as trimble, they need an update. Trimble the interface of the controler is extremelly efficient and ergonomic,the TSC7 is just amazing.
The TS16 can run both Captivate and iCON with the latest firmware update, run at separate times though, not on the same gun at the same time. Captivate for traverses and control networks, iCON for typical layout and as built shots. iCON is awesome for construction layout, FYI.

Return to “Any Other Issues”