Trimble X7 vs. Matterport

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Trimble X7 vs. Matterport

Post by jedfrechette »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:57 am Edit: Just want to add a very tabou subject. In the terms of service matterport states that they OWN the data you capture and can do what ever they want with it. This was ground to major conflict, legal issues that we had to deal with. Matterport should be used very lightly in my opinion.
I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention as it's one of the major reasons I've never seriously considered anything related to Matterport. Maybe it's just the type of work we do, but this type of clause immediately eliminates them from consideration for any of the projects we work on.
Jed
mdupree
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: MICHELLE DUPREE
Company Details: MBSB GROUP
Company Position Title: MBSB GROUP

Post by mdupree »

Thank you all for the feedback! I scanned the project with the Trimble X7 yesterday. They will also scan with Matterport and we will compare the data. I will let you all know how it goes.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

jedfrechette wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:14 pm
Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:57 am Edit: Just want to add a very tabou subject. In the terms of service matterport states that they OWN the data you capture and can do what ever they want with it. This was ground to major conflict, legal issues that we had to deal with. Matterport should be used very lightly in my opinion.
I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention as it's one of the major reasons I've never seriously considered anything related to Matterport. Maybe it's just the type of work we do, but this type of clause immediately eliminates them from consideration for any of the projects we work on.
I will share my story to give a perspective on how serious this can be.

We were in the first weeks of this new massive project, engineering went with a matterport camera to capture some areas, some that were restricted access areas. They shared the project with the client. Someone in their team was looking around on the website and stumble on that clause in the TOS, he brought this up to their legal team and it is an understatement to say they were not happy. In short we had broken a NDA and were to be disqualified from the project.

Thing is that this was a 5year+ 10mil$+ in engineering project. Dozens of people were hired for this specific project and people were to lose their job if we lost this. For my dept that was a 5000+ scan project we were to lose.

Issue was resolved threw discussions and we were not disqualified thankfully.

Let me just say that when ever I see anything related to Matterport I cringe inside and would not wish what we went threw to anybody.
tomii7
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tomasz Gerlich
Company Details: OutPut Precision Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: tomek.gerlich
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by tomii7 »

mdupree wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:54 pm Thank you all for the feedback! I scanned the project with the Trimble X7 yesterday. They will also scan with Matterport and we will compare the data. I will let you all know how it goes.

Hi Michelle, How are you?

did you find my feedback about matterport vs 3d laser scanners?
Below please:

WOW, please don't use Matterport never ever for survey reason!
We have also but we try to educate our clients that's a perfect tool for virtual tours and really good quality photos.

We had 2-3 months ago project when we received 'the scan data' and we discovered that scan data in terms of size is relatively small and similar to quality from mobile data but... during another check I've seen the shadow of matteport camera.

I suggested to redoing the scanning... and I compared with the team the scan data and .... the deviation was -/+1,5 m!
Gross error is growing from the first setup to the last- the rotation and mismatichin the data is growing.

That's my 2 pennies...
-----
Best Regards,
Tomasz Gerlich

tomaszgerlich[at]outputprecision.com or tomaszgerlich[at]gmail.com
+44 7756613300

www.outputprecision.com - Reality Capture
www.realitycapture3d.com - Matterport

OutPut Precision Ltd, Manchester, UK
joee09
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: jasmines
Company Details: houseandbeyond
Company Position Title: IT manager

Post by joee09 »

LPaulCook wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:13 pm I saw a test here years ago. FARO v Matterport. 6" off in the next room over. FARO won of course... BUT ...Has anyone seen a current test with the current version of Matterport? Has Matterport improved?
I am also looking forward to it.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

joee09 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:45 am
LPaulCook wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:13 pm I saw a test here years ago. FARO v Matterport. 6" off in the next room over. FARO won of course... BUT ...Has anyone seen a current test with the current version of Matterport? Has Matterport improved?
I am also looking forward to it.
Matterport should NOT be considered as a scanning unit. It is just a pano tour creator with a fancy online viewer, with low experience needed. Its photos looks nice and that is all. Main usage is real estate for small apartmans. Until it is not using lasers to measure distance it can be off a lot. And of course there is no way to go into registrations and check them.

Return to “Opinion Polls”