Reg360 Visual Alignment not updating links

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
SCarbo
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Samm Carbo
Company Details: Major Power Company
Company Position Title: Geospatial Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Reg360 Visual Alignment not updating links

Post by SCarbo »

I've never noticed this before, so now I have some concern. I'm going through a Point Cloud and tightening up some links via visual alignment. I have all of my links unlocked. I make my change, click join and optimize. I see Overlap, strength all cloud to cloud all change, it completes the process and the cloud goes back to the way it was before the changes.

Shouldn't all of my links update based on that change?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Re: Reg360 Visual Alignment not updating links

Post by badam »

Did you recently upgraded to 2022? If yes there is a settings in the link tab of the settings menu "Advanced optimization" it should be turned off because if it is turned on there won't be full optimalization instead it will try to determine what needs to be updatet and it fails to do that correctly if you are trying to creates loop closures. I don't really know why leuca enabled it by default it will cause headaches for those who do not read any release note. And know nothing about the changes (so most of the users).
SCarbo
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SCarbo »

I did upgrade to 2022; I did enable Advanced Optimization; But forgot to disable it when I thought nothing was happening with it.

So that is now disabled, I opened and closed the software, but the link still wasn't changing. So I deleted it and tried to create a new link. I am still having the same issue.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

SCarbo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 pm I've never noticed this before, so now I have some concern. I'm going through a Point Cloud and tightening up some links via visual alignment. I have all of my links unlocked. I make my change, click join and optimize. I see Overlap, strength all cloud to cloud all change, it completes the process and the cloud goes back to the way it was before the changes.

Shouldn't all of my links update based on that change?
I've noticed a similar situation where after completing a visual alignment between a couple setups, the error will be around 1mm of average error, but after the bundle optimizes, the global constraints will override the link just created and show an error much greater than what the visual alignment just showed. There is a work around or at least something you can check.
One thing to double check is whether the links you're creating are using the globally optimized constraint or the cloud to cloud constraint. By default, it will be using the globally optimized link once you have a closed loop of links. Overall, the point cloud should have a tighter registration by using the globally optimized link, but I have seen instances where something was throwing it off. If I wasn't able to delete the cloud to cloud points causing the issue, I have disabled the global constraint for a couple links to ensure my cloud to cloud is used (after visually verifying with truslicer). To do so, you need to select the link and in the advanced options of the right side panel and then you can disable the global constraint. Once you disable that global constraint, optimize the bundle again and lock that individual link just to be certain nothing changes after the fact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCarbo
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SCarbo »

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”