I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Stephen Seachord
Company Details: Surveying company
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst
Linkedin Profile: Yes

3D Print of a Compression Skid

Post by Seachordjr »

Here was a fun project that started out with some simple measurements to ensure this Compression skid would hook up correctly once it was shipped to its destination.
Skid_vid_0273.jpg
After the job was complete we created a 3d model and made a demo video to display at the various trade shows that the company attends.
Flat_Ani_01_Pipe_Inlet_0001.png
Shaded_Ani_Main_1774.png
I recently purchased the new 3d printer (da Vinci) from XYZ printing, only $529 US Dollars on Amazon. So I decided to print out my skid, very quickly did I realize that my modeling technique does not lend well to 3d printing. An object that is to be printed needs to be a solid object, any intersecting objects are not allowed, so all the pipes and pieces that I had were going to have to be rebuilt. With the complexity of this model it would have taken too much time to justify it to my boss. So I went looking for a solution, and found one at 3dmtp.com. For a very reasonable price they took my uploaded file and converted it to a solid mesh ready for 3d printing. Once I downloaded the new model I split it up into three pieces and printed it out. The printing took four days. When an intricate object is printed on a 3D printer that uses ABS plastic it needs to be printed with a scaffolding to support the hot plastic and keep it from sagging. It took three days just to clean out this plastic. After that I glued the pieces together and filled in the seams with contour putty and painted it. We will take this printed piece to trade shows as another eye catcher to get potential clients attention.
Prin01.jpg
Prin02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: 3D Print of a Compression Skid

Post by Matt Young »

Nice project!

It's way more than would be required for a project like that, but that's not the point is it. The point is to show a slice of all the things that can be done.

So much detail in that little printed model :D
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

very neat....like it! ;)
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Stephen this is very cool. Your models and textures are always so slick looking :)
Also, I am guessing you have seen some of the work David Zip has done using Frost with 3D printing? It wouldn't be a print of the model, rather the scans. It might not work in this case, but it might be useful on another project.
Seachordjr
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Stephen Seachord
Company Details: Surveying company
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Seachordjr »

I have seen David Zip's work. Great stuff, I haven't had a chance to play with Thinkbox software though. I'll have to download a 3DS Max trial and try the Frost plug-in. I know with the scan of the skid, all the detail left several holes in the scan data so it took some creative interpretation during the modeling process. I'm not sure how well the Frost software would have handled it.
d.raneri
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Domenic Raneri
Company Details: NSW Police Force
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Officer

Post by d.raneri »

You, sir, are a MADMAN for attempting this with a single nozzle FDM printer and no soluble support! Great stuff! :D

Return to “Show off Past Projects”