Company Details: Ingenieurbuero Drecoll
Company Position Title: Entwicklungsingenieur
Skype Name: shah.baba_2012
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Church Facade | 3D Printed / Interactive Model

Post by IngSayyad »

Truly amazing. Tutorial??
Can you give us some project details.

No. of scans, resolution, standpoints, registration software, quality of registratin, no of points / triangulation used for this fine detailed model etc.
Dr.-Ing. Shahzad Sayyad
jneilon
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jon Neilon
Company Details: Jon Neilon 3D Services
Company Position Title: 3D Services
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jneilon »

IngSayyad wrote:Truly amazing. Tutorial??

No. of scans, resolution, standpoints, registration software, quality of registratin, no of points / triangulation used for this fine detailed model etc.
I did not do any of the scanning Jason Warren and Phil Marsh did that part.

I will get back to you tomorrow on the other details, I do not have the file open.
andrew.grigg
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrew Grigg
Company Details: 40SEVEN
Company Position Title: Senior Land Surveyor

Post by andrew.grigg »

I've dabbled with Cloud Compare and MeshLab but I'm unsure how good/efficient my workflow is for creating good meshes without detriment to the overall quality. In the past I've found the need to fill holes despite scanning from multiple angles and at close range, so I too would love to see this tutorial.
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Hello Jon,

I would be happy to print the model for you at no cost on a Form1. I would be curious to know the quality difference between the Form1 and the model that you have already had produced.

Warren
jneilon
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by jneilon »

IngSayyad wrote:Truly amazing. Tutorial??
Here are a few stats:
4.2 million points for the facade. (Roughly)
7.4 million triangles for raw mesh.
7.9 million triangles for mesh to 3d print.
76.4k Triangles in mesh for interactive model
andrew.grigg wrote:I've dabbled with Cloud Compare and MeshLab but I'm unsure how good/efficient my workflow is for creating good meshes without detriment to the overall quality. In the past I've found the need to fill holes despite scanning from multiple angles and at close range, so I too would love to see this tutorial.
I'm not ready to make a tutorial just yet...lots of other things I would like to explore first. I will definitely post here first if/when I make one. My quick advice is to spend a week trying multiple software demos to achieve the same goal. You will find a workflow in the mess of software out there.
WWilford wrote:Hello Jon,

I would be happy to print the model for you at no cost on a Form1. I would be curious to know the quality difference between the Form1 and the model that you have already had produced.

Warren
Thanks I appreciate the offer. I do not want to part with the model at the moment. The Form 1 has impressive resolution so I think it would get close in quality although the build size would reduce the detail even further compared to objet 500 16-micron resolution.

How does the Form 1 print in colour? It appears it's more of a material colour switch rather than printing in 1 million+ true colour ?
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Jon,

The Form 1 only prints in one color. Currently I only have the clear resin. I would print the model for you at the 25 micron level and ship the model to you for your use. I would delete the .stl file when I am done.

Warren
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

Hi Jon,
Amazing results! The definition of the model seems really precise! Thanks for sharing all the stats.
As I am working for 3DReshaper, I wanted to ask you if you thought about testing 3DReshaper to produce the 3D mesh?
I see that you manage to have very good results with MeshLab and ZBrush. I would actually be interested to see if we could produce the same level of mesh with 3DReshaper. We also have some special options helping to optimize the position of the triangles inside the mesh in order to improve the precision without adding new triangles. So it keeps the model as light as possible, respecting the level of details needed.

I don't know if you can be interested in testing 3DReshaper, or if you are allowed to share part of the point cloud. But let me know if you'd like to give a try with 3DReshaper for a next project!
Thanks!

Jennifer
Jennifer
JSenior
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: James Senior
Company Details: S-CAN 3D Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by JSenior »

jneilon wrote:
ArronJMD wrote:
jneilon wrote:f it was in colour I might of decided to print in colour.
Wait...You can 3D print in color now!?
Is this done on an extruder?
Yes, you can print in colour it is done with a sandstone material. It is very brittle though and not perfect.
You can now print in full colour in more robust materials than what ZCorp offers.

The Statasys Objet Connex3 500 and the 3D Sytems Projet 4500 now both do full colour printing in plastics.

The layered paper machines from M-COR also provide surprisingly sturdy results.
jneilon
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by jneilon »

Jennifer L. wrote:Hi Jon,
Amazing results! The definition of the model seems really precise! Thanks for sharing all the stats.
As I am working for 3DReshaper, I wanted to ask you if you thought about testing 3DReshaper to produce the 3D mesh?
I see that you manage to have very good results with MeshLab and ZBrush. I would actually be interested to see if we could produce the same level of mesh with 3DReshaper. We also have some special options helping to optimize the position of the triangles inside the mesh in order to improve the precision without adding new triangles. So it keeps the model as light as possible, respecting the level of details needed.

I don't know if you can be interested in testing 3DReshaper, or if you are allowed to share part of the point cloud. But let me know if you'd like to give a try with 3DReshaper for a next project!
Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
I always wanted to try out 3DReshaper to see the quality it can produce. Maybe I can do a tutorial once I learn 3DReshaper instead ;)
JSenior wrote:
You can now print in full colour in more robust materials than what ZCorp offers.

The Statasys Objet Connex3 500 and the 3D Sytems Projet 4500 now both do full colour printing in plastics.

The layered paper machines from M-COR also provide surprisingly sturdy results.

I was going to print a colour Laser Scan on a M-COR printer when they were first coming out. They appeared to be the best colour by far but unfortunately I had some difficulty finding a company in Toronto.

Return to “Show off Past Projects”