I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: David Mercel
Company Details: 3DUserNet Ltd
Company Position Title: Development Diector
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: convert merged ply/xyz to ptx

Post by dmercel »

Hi Everyone,

I think I may as well get it out of the way straight off and state that I have written a converter from PTS / ASCII format to a properly structured PTX file, which is essentially what is being requested here. It isn't in a UI as yet and I coded it as a challenge I set myself a while ago to give me more flexibility to move data around.

You are all correct in that you ultimately need to have a 'scanner position' to start with (although this can be an estimated or simulated position) and you also need to have a resolution that you want the resulting scan data to take on.
This will work incredibly well for scan data that you have a known position for and for which you have only the data from that scan position.
For more complex cases where you have multiple scans combined then you will have to have multiple 'simulated' scan positions and there will be some loss / duplication of the resulting output scans. However, you will get a well structured PTX as a result (even if it doesn't look as clean and crisp as wanted).

If you would like me to process the data for you then please PM me and I will give it a whirl. At some point I will probably get around to putting a UI together for it too....

EDIT: Just saw Jed's link to the PTX's for this project :D so I guess no need anymore, but if you come across the issue again feel free to give me a shout.
RealScanService
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Clemens
Company Details: RealScanService
Company Position Title: Head

Re: convert merged ply/xyz to ptx

Post by RealScanService »

Hello David,

is just read about your ASCII to PTX converter. I am very interested in it. Cloud you please contact me. I am not allowed to write a personal massage, beacause I am new to the forum. I hope you read this.

All the best
Clemens

Return to “Request Help With Projects”