V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Center of gravity from pointclouds

Post by badam »

Hello guys i recently got a question if we could define a solid object's center of gravity assuming it has similar density everywhere, so we don't need to bother holes inside the object.

Is there an option to calculate COG based on pointcloud?

My guess was to create a mesh and after that maybe some program can do the calculation like meshlab/ cloud compare.

Firstly i thought averaging point coordinates, but that is not consider equal density of point on the object. Maybe if i resample the cloud on a strict grid. That could be work. But i'd prefer a mesh cog calculation.

So my question is that do you know any software that can calculate mesh cog?
chris_d
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Chris Dordoni
Company Details: laser scanning and CAD modeling
Company Position Title: scanning technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Center of gravity from pointclouds

Post by chris_d »

The first consideration is that a solid or watertight object is needed, so a point cloud will not work.

If your scan is only a surface you will need to figure out a way to enclose it in some kind of watertight volume. However, since that is likely to be somewhat arbitrary if there are large areas that have to be filled in, the result may not be that useful.

The second issue is that typically only engineering / mechanical CAD applications have that COG function and required CAD surfaces, not meshes.
There might be something out there that will do it for a watertight mesh.

You could look at FreeCAD or Rhino to see if it might work.

Deskartes 3D Data Expert (free version) will give a COG for a mesh but you will only get the coordinates of the COG onscreen, you won't be able to export as a reference point.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”