I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Geert
Company Details: Geert
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Fit polyline over pointcloud slice

Post by BelgiumLaser »

Hello,

I am drawing a facade with some stairs in front of a building. Is there a tool to draw a polyline over a slice of stairs? I can do it manually but takes time...
The best solution would be that I could select an area of a point cloud and the tool draws a polyline over it. Does this exist? Currently using Bricscad pro with cloudworx.
Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Fit polyline over pointcloud slice

Post by Mike Annear »

I don't know about Bricscad, there are a couple of ways to do it "automatically" in Rhino 3D, but I find by the time you check it for errors it is quicker to trace it manually.
I have a clipping plane grouped with a Mobile Construction plane, so I am tracing the polyline where ever the slice is visible.
I also turn the point snap off, this also enables me to create a corner where it should be even, if there are no scan points , ie in a shadow etc.
Mike
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
adam.b
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Adam Bernard
Company Details: ADB3D
Company Position Title: Co -owner

Post by adam.b »

Hi There

Please check out our latest app

This will be released this week, It will do just what you want it to do. 3d Polylines is one of the new cool features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynySzCcTE40
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

Hi Adam,
Isn't that just using manual tracing ?
Mike
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I use manual tracing over all automatic drawing with all solutions i have.

Too much problems cleaning up afterwards.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 am I use manual tracing over all automatic drawing with all solutions i have.

Depends very much on what you're trying to automatically trace, Lieven, e.g. have a look at this video from about 1:40 onwards. Manual tracing of new building slices composed largely of orthogonal straight lines is easy enough in a CAD package. Once you start moving to old buildings with lots of compound curves and irregular walls, automated tracing can save you a ton of time.

youtu.be/L1ApPht9Pfw

How well this works comes down to the quality of the data. The example above is P40 and I'm guessing your Riegl instrument would score well too. If you're using a noisier instrument, you need to do a lot of automated noise reduction first. In the video below using ZDEB Revo data, the automated classification of noise and walls is the key to allowing successful extraction of data from the building slice. Even then, there can be a lot of editing.

youtu.be/VHKv7zNiX80

In the picture shown in the opening post, for automated extraction I'd tend to clean the plant pots and person out of point cloud data before processing the slice. In my opinion, automated extraction in this context is just another tool in your tool box. It works very well in some situations and is of little value in others. It also takes some time to learn how to get the best out of it when used in conjunction with other tools.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

smacl wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:16 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 am I use manual tracing over all automatic drawing with all solutions i have.

Depends very much on what you're trying to automatically trace, Lieven, e.g. have a look at this video from about 1:40 onwards. Manual tracing of new building slices composed largely of orthogonal straight lines is easy enough in a CAD package. Once you start moving to old buildings with lots of compound curves and irregular walls, automated tracing can save you a ton of time.

youtu.be/L1ApPht9Pfw

How well this works comes down to the quality of the data. The example above is P40 and I'm guessing your Riegl instrument would score well too. If you're using a noisier instrument, you need to do a lot of automated noise reduction first. In the video below using ZDEB Revo data, the automated classification of noise and walls is the key to allowing successful extraction of data from the building slice. Even then, there can be a lot of editing.

youtu.be/VHKv7zNiX80

In the picture shown in the opening post, for automated extraction I'd tend to clean the plant pots and person out of point cloud data before processing the slice. In my opinion, automated extraction in this context is just another tool in your tool box. It works very well in some situations and is of little value in others. It also takes some time to learn how to get the best out of it when used in conjunction with other tools.
That church video looks pretty slick Shane. With normal buildings and houses there tend to be a lot of paintings, closets,... at the wall which always interrupts the wall at certain levels.

I must say with Kubit (Faro) pointsense i have had the best results as opposed to my general tool of use which is Pointcab.

But because results vary i tend to draw manually.

Now i have looked at your church i'm biased to look a bit further. Vz400i data is as crisp if not crispier then p40 so there will be no problem drawing nice glass windows like in your video.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:17 amThat church video looks pretty slick Shane. With normal buildings and houses there tend to be a lot of paintings, closets,... at the wall which always interrupts the wall at certain levels.
Very much my experience as well, floor plans very often tend to be taken about 100mm below ceiling level for this reason as that is the least likely place to be obstructed. Smaller rooms with lots of obstruction are best traced by eye, ideally by the person who did the scan or someone with access to any associated images. I think we'll start seeing much better automated extraction and extension of planes from scans in the future which will improve this, as will image processing for feature detection. Charles Thompson from Vercator was doing some interesting work on this a few years back as is Florent Poux. It still depends on good quality data and intelligent selection of scan positions to avoid shadows and voids.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by melshy »

youtu.be/V3H6wvflzbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3H6wvflzbw
I think like as the feature with autocad.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”