I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Yu
Company Details: University of Queensland
Company Position Title: Research assistant

Avoid scanning the background with vivid9i

Post by s4086748 »

Hi,

I'm still quite new to 3d scanning since I only get a few basic trainning, I haven't even touch Geomagic yet. Will be soon in my next trainning session.

Ok, I know it should be a simple problem, but I still need your insights.

Currently I'm using Konica Minolta Vivid9i to scan some wooden sculptures. In order to avoid scanning the wall and the table, I used 6 pieces of black coloured A3 cardboard and stick them onto the wall and on the table as well. Unfortunately, it still scans my table and the wall except this time, they are all in black colour, which does not help me at all and waste my 10AUD$.

I know cleanning up these things is simple and straightfoward, but it just lose the point of making my background black. Anybody have other suggestions to avoid scanning my black surfaces?
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Avoid scanning the background with vivid9i

Post by Phil Marsh »

David,

Could yo post a few images so we can see the setup and the object you are trying to scan, etc.

Thanks
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
s4086748
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Yu
Company Details: University of Queensland
Company Position Title: Research assistant

Post by s4086748 »

Ok, the setup is located in a office environment. The scanning time is usually at night time so there will be no natural sunlight. The main lighting is only the two flourscent lights.

I've also just shifted the table and the camera around in order to scan bigger objects, the black paper were also newly added. I've also been changing the lens from tele to wide By the way, I haven't been performing field calibration since it will be taught in the next training.

Now my situation is even worst, the auto focus sometimes cannot perform properly while doing turntable autoscans, each surface scan had a wrong positioning and the model was tilted weirdly, in top side and front view. I was forced to do initial registeration manually for every single surface scan.

Could it really be the field calibration was not setup right? Or the white balance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Parsons
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Parsons
Company Details: Magna Decoma
Company Position Title: Dimensional Lab Manager

Post by Joe Parsons »

Hi David we've done a lot of work over the years with a minolta v900, we've always found that because you can't adjust laser power etc the scanner will just pick up anything of any colour within its depth of field. Unless you can get the object on a podium with nothing around I fear it may be a case of having to remove excess data in a software package. Try using white paper as the contrast with the wooden sculpture should enable the scanner to auto focus, I also remember someone mentioning that the 9i has issues with flourescent light, try it in natural light.
Sorry not to be of more help, regards Joe
pollete
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: JOSE MARTINEZ RUBIO
Company Details: LFA-DAVAP
Company Position Title: Technical director
Skype Name: josufet
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by pollete »

I'd suggest to turn off autofocus. tape the range from lens to object and set it.

You could also try the following: Set the scanner at 60cm to the closest object point. Choose as trial-pose one in which the object occupied the whole field in the horizontal direction at about the middle height. Here is where the vivid will beam to check focus range and set intensity. press focus lock. The aim is to avoid the first short laser scan to go away to the background. After this first checks set intensty and focus to fixed
!OOOOOOOOOO!
!____________ !

Try a first scan and see in the range color view if it needs some tunning to cover your object depth.
laser intensity can also be set to manual after a first check to avoid further auto adjustments during object's rotation. The lower intensity is better. If possible work in dim light (keep away from sun!!!)
If background is at some longer distance to the scanner than the distance you fixed... no bg data will be captured
José Martínez Rubio
LFA-DAVAP Valladolid University
http://www3.uva.es/davap

Return to “Request Help With Projects”