Full Name: Andrew Justin Harper
Company Details: Gibbs and Cox Inc.
Company Position Title: CAD Designer II
Linkedin Profile: No

Alligning Faro Scene Data to specific X,Y,Z Values

Post by J.Harper »

Hello all,

First time posting!

Here is the run down: I have a SCENE 5.5 file i would like to register to specific coordinates within scene so that i can import them into other software without having to move the data to the correct location. To my understanding this can be achieved using a CSV file and registering the data to those coordinates. After many attempts at this, I have nothing to show.
The data is in its own cluster with a locked scan manager. I have added specific named points to the quick views in a scan (C1,C2,C3) and created a CSV file with the same names (C1,C2,C3). When I import the CSV on the workspace level and run scan placement with target registration the imported scan points do not get matched with my previously identified points. What am I missing here? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

-Justin
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Alligning Faro Scene Data to specific X,Y,Z Values

Post by Simon Judd »

Justin

I have attached an image that should help show how to set up the cluster for your CSV. We register all of our projects to CSV control.

However Scene will not pick up the control values if the relationship between the individual points you identified in Quick view differs greatly to the actual relationship in the CSV file.

I hope this helps
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J.Harper
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by J.Harper »

Simon,
Thanks for the swift response. I believe my problem is the accuracy of points i picked to use for control points vs what the coordinate in the model is. I will be fiddling with it some today and reply to this post if I manage to correct this issue.
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Simon Judd »

Justin

If you cannot get the CSV file to work, You may also want to try and just transform your project to the correct coordinate system by manipulating the workspace Transformation parameters. (This is assuming you have 1 cluster or at least a common relationship between multiple clusters)

If the project is going to be orthogonal you can use the alignment function in Scene

If you create a Plane on a nice flat surface you can use the alignment tool (Right Click on the plane in the structure window - alignment) to set which direction you need.

You can then use the workspace transformation parameters to move the project in X.Y and Z direction until you have the correct coordinates.

If the project is not orthogonal you can of course use the rotation around the Z axis to get the correct alignment. and then transform X,Y,Z as before.

I have also used this method on many occasions to align a project if Control was not available.

Simon
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by scankukai »

Hi,

Please give a try to our free plugins that are on the Faro appstore: one of them allows you to orient your scans (one scan, a cluster, or the complete project).
Just create a point, and give new coordinates.

Link
http://www.faro.com/faro-3d-app-center/ ... -(liber-d)
information: there is a mistake in the title (beam bending instead of manual registration).

You can also create 2 points and align them along the xy axis, or along a vector.
J.Harper
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by J.Harper »

Thanks all for the responses.

I ended up transforming my cluster the difference in distance and aligned it to a cardinal direction.
I will try the liber-d plug in the future and see which method is preferred.

- Justin

Return to “Request Help With Projects”