V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning manholes/vaults containing steam

Post by richard_m »

I've never found an effective way of filtering steam - its a common problem and I'd love to hear of any solutions out there.

I would suggest lowering a gastest into your confined space before lowering your scanner..

What I have seen working in a ductspace full of steam (and potentially other hazards) was to hire a commercial fan and flexible air-duct type piping to blow fresh air into one end of the duct system. This cleared the system very quickly and kept it clear and safe.

Richard.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning manholes/vaults containing steam

Post by JNally »

gusrios wrote:
GrasstecGeomatics wrote:Micheal,

Just a quick one from myself. I have done a lot of scanning around Steam now and it will appear as noise in the scan. I have also scanned manholes where steam is present. I use a Leica P40 and can tell you that whenever steam is present it just shows up as noise and makes the scan somewhat useless. In terms of damaging the equipment I would say you are fine as the gear is IP rated. However the data is hit and miss in terms of quality.

Good Luck with it.

Regards
Joe
Joe,

What type of inverted tripod do you use for the P40?
We have a potential project coming up and I think this is the way to go.

Regards,

Gus
Gus,

We have the Industrial Line Nedo Tripod http://www.nedo.com/index.pl?Lang=ENGLI ... ative.html

Its pretty good, you need to keep an eye on all the joints though as they can work themselves loose over time and will make the scanner wobble.

Good Luck

Return to “Request Help With Projects”