I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO As-Built Analysis

Post by surveypm »

The analysis feature of arbitrary surfaces is nice but seems to have some limitations.

When creating a legend the elevation placement in 3D space seems to be ignored either when picking a point or having the ELEV command set in AutoCAD. The legend can be moved to the proper place, but don’t know why the PCDISTCOLLEGEND command ignores Z.

Secondly, when there are two separate surfaces being analyzed, the legend command seems to ignore any other deviation gradient RCP file other than the first one in the same AutoCAD file. When the dialog box appears the list is missing the second RCP file even though it has been created and can be seen in Windows Explorer. Seems like you can only have one legend in a dwg file.

I haven’t found anything in the manual in this regard. Any ideas?
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: FARO As-Built Analysis

Post by melshy »

You mean compare model with scan data on Autocad
Jana-at-kubit
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jana Siebenbrodt
Company Details: FARO Technologie Inc [Dresden]
Company Position Title: Product Owner Software

Post by Jana-at-kubit »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your valuable feedback on the As-Built for AutoCAD legend command.

When implementig the legend tool we decided that the legend should always be placed in the xy-plane of the current User Coordinate System. Thus it is clearly visible in Top view and can be placed beside the analysed part of the point cloud. We assumed that the user would create a UCS according to his/her needs and then place the legend.
Do you think we should change this?

It is true that currently it is only possible to create a legend for one colorized RCP file per drawing. We already have an issue in our product backlog to improve this and allow the user to select the RCP he/she wants to create a legend for. How soon we can provide this improvement is just a question of priorites.

For the moment I recommend to keep the original drawing, make copies to run the various analyses, and save the results separately.

Kind regards,
Jana Siebenbrodt
----------------------------------------------------------
FARO Techologie Inc., Dresden, Germany

http://faro.com/
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/
----------------------------------------------------------
surveypm
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by surveypm »

Jana,

Thanks for responding and letting me know that only one legend is possible. It would be nice to be able to have the USIBD spec legend and a distance legend showing. I'll follow your work around if I need more than one for the time being.

Regarding the elevation, over the last five years working in the BIM environment the legacy of 2D norms seems to cause rework keeping BIM geometry in the correct position. This also refers to annotation and line work in AutoCAD. Using AutoCAD as one of the BIM tools (as well as As-Built) one might consider wherever I’m working with geometry in the model it’s best to maintain the numeric coordinates of all related geometry (annotations included). Part of the reason for this in my opinion is I bought As-Built really for 3D work, so any output of the tools should maintain the location where I’m working (elevation included). So when I add annotations to my AutoCAD 3D models the text resides attached, in the case of dimensions, or close by to the 3D geometry to keep everything well organized.

Secondly many AutoCAD 3D models are used in BIM software such as Navisworks. So when I open an AutoCAD As-Built analysis inside Navisworks the scans and CAD geometry all appear at the correct project coordinates. However in this recent case I found the legend at elevation zero; x and y were fine. I corrected that manually by moving it but it would be nice if the legend followed the scan analysis where I picked for the location. Many clients I work with are trying to encapsulate all the project model data into an integrator like Navisworks so in their case they expect all the data in a file be located where appropriate.

In short, yes I think the legend should land wherever I pick in 3D space.

I realize the color scale is an image such as a PNG which works fine in AutoCAD but shows up gray in Navisworks because Navisworks doesn’t read standard image files. I work around this by converting the image to an FBX file which then shows up properly in Navisworks but takes some manual work to size and place it. If you ever get the chance to have the legend tool export an FBX matched to the PNG location that would be awesome.

Regards,
Tom

Return to “FARO As-Built”