Faro as-built and Cadworx

Discuss FARO As-Built software here.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro as-built and Cadworx

Post by bdawood »

Hello all,

As many of you know, leica purchased bricscsd, and now it is part of the hexagon family which includes cadworx, my question is the following. Is there any plans for faro to have as-built run inside bricscad and work with cadworx and use the cadworx spec similar to the way it runs with Autodesk plant 3D. Thanks in advance.

Bashar Dawood
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Re: Faro as-built and Cadworx

Post by scott.diaz »

Hi Bashar,

As-Built does interact with CADWorx for AutoCAD now...just not quite as direct of a workflow as Plant 3D. We can show you these workflows if you need. Of course i love the idea to plug-in As-Built to Brics but this development will all come down to priority. FARO has many great things in the cooker and what feels like a never ending list of ideas but priority is driven by customer demand combined with ease of execution and potential impact to bottom line. I would encourage you to push this idea to your FARO representatives. Believe me, your demands make their way to our product management team. We are still a small enough company to be agile and very connected globally.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by bdawood »

Hi Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I am glad to hear that there is lots going on behind the scene. Faro As-built is getting more important as time passes on, and currently Cloudworx is the only tool available for the thousands of designers that use Cadworx and works seamlessly with cadworx on bricscad, I would love to see As-built to get into this market and provide the same menue to Cadworx as it does to plant 3D which is not very popular in the industry.
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Bashar, no problem and i completely understand your point of view. Nothing would make me happier than to see a fully automated As-Built to CADWorx conversion and one in BricsCAD would be a heck of a bonus. I will post this to our platform owner for As-Built.

Actually we have an open architecture option available in the program which would allow the CADWorx development team to easily plug-in their catalogs and pop out CADWorx objects. I would also encourage you to push this idea to them as well. The process would take an afternoon for a developer to implement.

With all that said, if you want to see the recommended As-Built to CADWorx workflow in AutoCAD please reach out to Irene Radcliffe. She's our roughneck up in the Canadian oil sands and an As-Built plant expert. PM me if you need her contact info. There are some best practices that make centerline extraction by line size and tags inline fittings with nodes, etc. This way the CADWorx auto route "line to pipe" will flood the centelrine with pipes/elbows/tees and stop at line size change. Inline fittings can be dropped along the node locations. You can also just use the tie-in point extraction tool to avoid modeling. OK, former kubit nerd talking now...getting into too much detail. Anyway, please let me know if you need to reach the right folks at FARO.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by bdawood »

Thanks Scott, I will send you a PM and chat more, and will also chat with my sales representative and explain the importance of having As-built working on bricscad and utilizing cadworx specs.

Return to “FARO As-Built”