I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Best way to clean up scan data

Post by DavidL »

Jed, Stefan thanks for your comments. I have now deleted all data behind windows. I did notice the image turning black in planar view so just re-applied pictures. I'm now wondering whether to remove all glass surface points as well, effectively removing glass altogether to make a hole, because the scanner picks up the surface of the glass only in places which is correct however it looks a mess because it's very patchy.
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SAttaya »

jcoco3 wrote: If you simply drag and drop scans from the SD card into a project you have already created manually, then you will need to create the RAWSCANS folder in the project directory and copy the originals to it if you want to keep a backup.
Actually, in 5.4 (& 5.3 I think), the RAWSCANS folder is created, but is empty if you answer no and then drag the scan folders into your project.
I think under 5.2, the raw scans would get the .fls files from the first save. In 5.3 & 5.4 they go into Revisions\1\Scans if I'm not mistaken.

===============
Caesar, If you use the dialog Scene prompts you with to import scans from SD card when you plug one it, Scene will automatically create a folder called "RAWSCANS" and copy the originals to this directory will they will remain untampered with.
AND from the SCENE user manual "Clicking yes will import new scans from the SD card and create a local copy of the automatic scanner snapshot. The local copy of this automatic scanner snapshot can be found under the folder Scanners in the Structure View of the scanner administration and bears the name of your scanner's serial number."
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor

Post by geowac »

David,
I totally agree! It's a boring and time consuming way! I like the Recap, Cyclone and CloudCompare tools for cleaning, but I found no way back to SCENE :(

I think, it would be worth to write an app, for cleaning points outside an imported model. Someone interesting in writing one?

Import from SDcard: never tried this, because most time my cards are full with different projects. Never have all projects on my PC or Notebook. And SCENE did not allow to choose the project it should import, it imports the whole card every time. Wished it would remember which was imported earlier (I often move projects from one PC to another and use the SDcards for backup)

Greetings
Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

jcoco3 wrote:Caesar, If you use the dialog Scene prompts you with to import scans from SD card when you plug one it, Scene will automatically create a folder called "RAWSCANS" and copy the originals to this directory will they will remain untampered with. If you simply drag and drop scans from the SD card into a project you have already created manually, then you will need to create the RAWSCANS folder in the project directory and copy the originals to it if you want to keep a backup.

I hope that makes sense :)

Yes it does ! - I am given the scan data to download from an FTP so I need to manage it all manually.
I was always wondering what the RAW SCANS folder was for when you create project. So its good to know I can drop the scans there. What I am gathering is that scene will make a copy of the scans in that folder in order to keep them intact.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

I just caught up with all the responses.
Thank you guys.

So from what I am gathering is that as long as I copy the scans into the rawscan folder, scenes know to keep them unaltered and saves copied under revisions. I am going to speculate that when I do a "cleanup" on the project i will delete of the revisions but still keep the original scans.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Yep, you got it :D
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

You guys have been great help.
It funny what a big difference it makes when you understand/know the software and what you are doing versus just hacking it and getting by. I even opened some of the Asus Xtion scans I did which were a mess and I was able to create scan point clouds and use clipping boxes to clean them up. Now if I could only find a way to orient them right side up etc. Can someone with experience in this give a hand ? (I know this is not the right thread )
pointinator
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joachim Vollrath
Company Details: retired
Company Position Title: retired

Post by pointinator »

Hello Cesar,

in SCENE 5.4 / SCENE Process/Capture there is a levelling tool for easy orientation of point clouds that don't have inclinometer information. In older versions I fear you will have to manually play around with the transformations...

Best regards,
Joachim
crullier wrote:You guys have been great help.
It funny what a big difference it makes when you understand/know the software and what you are doing versus just hacking it and getting by. I even opened some of the Asus Xtion scans I did which were a mess and I was able to create scan point clouds and use clipping boxes to clean them up. Now if I could only find a way to orient them right side up etc. Can someone with experience in this give a hand ? (I know this is not the right thread )
LukaszW
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Lukasz Wasyliszyn
Company Details: vaz
Company Position Title: tech
Skype Name: -

Post by LukaszW »

I don't want to start a new thread but I'm curious how the version 6 handle the workflow ? If I clean the SPC (delete points) and later create the PPC will the data still come from Raw scans ? Does your workflow change (and how if any) within the Scene 6 ?
thanks!
pointinator
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Joachim Vollrath
Company Details: retired
Company Position Title: retired

Post by pointinator »

Hi!

Whenever you edit SPCs and save the project, the corresponding (raw) scans will get updated and the SPC re-created. This behavior is the same for SCENE 5 and SCENE 6.
The PPC will then get created from the raw scan with the updated data, but of course you need to save those updates to the scan beforehand.

Best regards,
Joachim
LukaszW wrote:I don't want to start a new thread but I'm curious how the version 6 handle the workflow ? If I clean the SPC (delete points) and later create the PPC will the data still come from Raw scans ? Does your workflow change (and how if any) within the Scene 6 ?
thanks!

Return to “FARO SCENE”