V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dan
Company Details: Berding
Company Position Title: Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Best way to clean up scan data

Post by berdindc »

http://www.faro.com/faro-3d-app-center/ ... orm-filter

What about the uniform filter app for SCENE? I have not tried but it seems like a good idea. Why need 1mm point spacing on the floor or wall when I'm really interested in the beams/pipes above? It would certainly help with the cleanup......!!

Exports E57 or XYZ. How would this feed into REVIT? Would still have ability to turn on/off individual scans as I do now when using FLS-->RECAP-->REVIT? :?:
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

Thanks for sharing. I did not know you could do that.
So you are then overriding the bmp after you color it?
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stefan Wachsmann
Company Details: scantaxi.de
Company Position Title: supervisor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by geowac »

crullier wrote:Thanks for sharing. I did not know you could do that.
So you are then overriding the bmp after you color it?
Yea and no, I save new BMP direct from PS. This new BMP is imported to SCENE.

By the way, to import the 1st exported BMP is faster, than reassign the SCENE images via Color Scan ;)

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by geowac »

berdindc wrote:http://www.faro.com/faro-3d-app-center/ ... orm-filter

What about the uniform filter app for SCENE? I have not tried but it seems like a good idea. Why need 1mm point spacing on the floor or wall when I'm really interested in the beams/pipes above? It would certainly help with the cleanup......!!
generating a SPC or PPC does just this. Not as perfect, as the plugin does, but it's o.k.
berdindc wrote:Exports E57 or XYZ. How would this feed into REVIT? Would still have ability to turn on/off individual scans as I do now when using FLS-->RECAP-->REVIT? :?:
The plugin works only on one scan per time not with SPC or PPC. Importing e57/xyz to recap is the same like importing fls. And its possible to import the unified data back to SCENE and export direct to rcs/rcp (SCENE 5.4.9)...

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
DavidL
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Post by DavidL »

Hi all, this is sort of related to this topic. I have scanned the inside rooms and outside aera of a building, the outside scans have captured data through the windows of the inside of the house, the inside scans have captured data through the windows of the outside area. What is the best thing to do with regards to cleaning up in this situation? It's sometimes hard to tell what is noise caused by reflection and what might be useful. Should I just go ahead and delete all points captured through the glass in each scan? Thanks, David
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

I want to understand something about DELETING points.

I know i can HIDE points in a PPC or SPC. - And I am starting to prefer this over deleting as my original scan files are not altered. When I export this cropped dataset those hidden points are not exported. (correct?)

Now, When I open a scan file in 3d or planar view and I start to delete portions of the scan, and I SAVE the project, and I am saving those changed to to my scan files?

I am trying to figure out if I need to keep an "ORIGINAL" set of raw scans stored away somewhere as a back up.
Thank you
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Caesar, If you use the dialog Scene prompts you with to import scans from SD card when you plug one it, Scene will automatically create a folder called "RAWSCANS" and copy the originals to this directory will they will remain untampered with. If you simply drag and drop scans from the SD card into a project you have already created manually, then you will need to create the RAWSCANS folder in the project directory and copy the originals to it if you want to keep a backup.

I hope that makes sense :)
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

DavidL wrote:I have scanned the inside rooms and outside aera of a building, the outside scans have captured data through the windows of the inside of the house, the inside scans have captured data through the windows of the outside area. What is the best thing to do with regards to cleaning up in this situation? It's sometimes hard to tell what is noise caused by reflection and what might be useful.
Since you've got both areas separately from other scans I would discard the through-the-glass data. That data can be usable in some cases, but as you've discovered it can be tough to evaluate. You'll probably spend less time and have more piece of mind if you just toss it all rather than trying to make a call on each area about whether it's good enough for your needs or not.
Jed
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by geowac »

crullier wrote:I want to understand something about DELETING points.

I know i can HIDE points in a PPC or SPC. - And I am starting to prefer this over deleting as my original scan files are not altered. When I export this cropped dataset those hidden points are not exported. (correct?)

Now, When I open a scan file in 3d or planar view and I start to delete portions of the scan, and I SAVE the project, and I am saving those changed to to my scan files?

I am trying to figure out if I need to keep an "ORIGINAL" set of raw scans stored away somewhere as a back up.
Thank you
Cesar,

hiding points is only possible with clip boxes, while deleting points will only affect the actual revision! the original data is automatically "backed up" in older revisions. You are able to get back to any revision, you want.

Deleting points in SPC will affect the "raw" data (data shown in planar view) too, because SCENE deletes the points from the fls, save this modified fls into the actual revision and generates a new SPC for this scan.

I guess, if you delete points from the PPC, you will not change the SPC or fls.

By the way, what will be exported depends to the export format. some formats export the whole scandata from the fls without considering clipping boxes, some did consider them. And there are different export posibilities for the different points (fls,SPC,PPC)
geowac_01.png
geowac_02.png
Cheers
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geowac
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by geowac »

DavidL wrote:Hi all, this is sort of related to this topic. I have scanned the inside rooms and outside aera of a building, the outside scans have captured data through the windows of the inside of the house, the inside scans have captured data through the windows of the outside area. What is the best thing to do with regards to cleaning up in this situation? It's sometimes hard to tell what is noise caused by reflection and what might be useful. Should I just go ahead and delete all points captured through the glass in each scan? Thanks, David
David,

as mentioned by Jonathan, I always delete points behind windows. I use clustering and SPC, because I can clip things and delete by clipping. This is fast and easy...

The inside can be clipped from outside scans very easy and then deleted from the scans. But be careful, SCENE tends to crash on my system, if I delete too many times small chunks of points. But saving is annoying, because it takes much time...

I delete mirrors scan by scan while preprocessing/marking targets from the "raw" scans, just before applying the images, because the deleting turns the deleted points to black in the planar view, while image applying will restore the colors to this areas ;)

Cheers
Stefan

Return to “FARO SCENE”