V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: Stray Points Cleaning - Important

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

K.Ronald wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:14 pm
Emanuele wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:08 pm In general, it is better to use one filter at a time, proceeding step by step.

For the dark points filter (more aggressive) you can check the lower value of the points you want to keep; proceeding through successive iterations you can check what it has eliminated.

For "dispersion" and "moving objects" filters there should be no particular problems of elimination.
Since the areas are from 40 scan points to 100+, I don`t have the time to do step by step filtering (also have to check every target of the area after every step and they are usually many)

I have this basic settings straight out of Scene when processing the scans. scene_2019_settings.JPG

Are there better settings than this?
Also is there any way I can process/ use filters on scans without losing anything done after; for example registration, scan alignment, etc ?

Thank you,
Ronald
I do 100 dark point filter.
If you have a X series scanner in your fleet consider [strongly) 1m minimum distance filter. S series deal better with close range. Max range depends on project. I play from 30m to 150m using logic in the scope of work and if I
I plan to do long range c2c, outdoor vs indoor scans etc. But at all mean if you dont have a good knowledge of what you are doing keep at least 70m distance.

Yes you can always filter after registration without having things move.
K.Ronald
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Ronald Kurcz
Company Details: Valiant TMS Ro
Company Position Title: 3D Scan and Layout Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by K.Ronald »

Mike Annear wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 pm I have used cloud compare connected components function for this in the past.
Run the command and you get a list of components in the DB tree on the left.
The top of the list is the largest chunk of point cloud and so on down the list.
Switch off all the big bits and work your way down the list to find the junk, then delete them.

https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... Components
If this does give good results as described, i`m happy.

Sadly, I do not have enough experience with file formats so what file format should I export from Scene to CloudCompare so after I`m done cleaning I can import it back to Scene like nothing happened? (no other changes, only the cleaning).

Thank you,
Ronald
K.Ronald
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Ronald Kurcz
Company Details: Valiant TMS Ro
Company Position Title: 3D Scan and Layout Engineer

Post by K.Ronald »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:40 am
K.Ronald wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:14 pm
Emanuele wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:08 pm In general, it is better to use one filter at a time, proceeding step by step.

For the dark points filter (more aggressive) you can check the lower value of the points you want to keep; proceeding through successive iterations you can check what it has eliminated.

For "dispersion" and "moving objects" filters there should be no particular problems of elimination.
Since the areas are from 40 scan points to 100+, I don`t have the time to do step by step filtering (also have to check every target of the area after every step and they are usually many)

I have this basic settings straight out of Scene when processing the scans. scene_2019_settings.JPG

Are there better settings than this?
Also is there any way I can process/ use filters on scans without losing anything done after; for example registration, scan alignment, etc ?

Thank you,
Ronald
I do 100 dark point filter.
If you have a X series scanner in your fleet consider [strongly) 1m minimum distance filter. S series deal better with close range. Max range depends on project. I play from 30m to 150m using logic in the scope of work and if I
I plan to do long range c2c, outdoor vs indoor scans etc. But at all mean if you dont have a good knowledge of what you are doing keep at least 70m distance.

Yes you can always filter after registration without having things move.
The scanner I am using is a Faro S150. Mostly indoor, close-range and mid-range (car manufacturer factory).
What would be the best settings for this?

Also, for better understanding of the situation, I think that most of the stray points are created because:
- different surface reflections;
- the areas are surrounded by plexiglass like walls.

LE: I have read somewhere that Dark Scan Point Filter is only working if the scans are not Colorized? All my scans are done with HDR 2x.

Thank you,
Ronald
Emanuele
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emanuele Ferrari
Company Details: Studio FERRARI
Company Position Title: Titolare

Post by Emanuele »

SonofOdin wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:31 am
Why would you turn of the edge artifact filter?
In some cases the filter has eliminated points of the object to be detected.
I deactivate the filter in the first processing and then if I see that there is too much noise I apply it

Return to “FARO SCENE”