Scene 2019.2 crashing on registration

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
fberna
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Ferdinando Bernasconi
Company Details: ClaTech Sagl
Company Position Title: owner
Skype Name: fberna
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scene 2019.2 crashing on registration

Post by fberna »

hello,

I am using a 2019.2 version on Win 10.

I have a project with about 200 scans. When registering small clusters it works just fine.

Then I try to register the various cluster together and after starting it repeatedly crashes, shutting down.

What is strange, if I use top view registration usually it works. When optimizing with cloud to cloud inevitably it crashes

Tried to install scene again with no success.

Scene uses about 24% of CPU and less than 50% of memory, so it shouldn't be a problem for the PC.

Any suggestion????

Thanks in advance for any help
pomped
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Team Lead Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scene 2019.2 crashing on registration

Post by pomped »

Hi Ferdinando,

sorry to hear about your problems!

I have some questions that might help to clarify the problem:
* Is the crash always reproducable?
* Are you using the latest patch of 2019.2? Please tell the exact SCENE version.
* Have you checked if it also crashes in 2020.0?
* Have you reached out to FARO customer service?
* When SCENE crashes, does it show you a dialog, offering to send a dump file to [email protected]?
** If yes, have you done so already?
** If no, have you checked your Windows temporary folder (Windows explorer %temp%) for a *.dmp file of the crash ans send it to [email protected]?

Regards,
Daniel
fberna
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fberna »

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your kind reply.

1. The crash is, unfortunately, reproducible. Every single time I try to put together the entire project with cloud to cloud it inevitably crashes and Scene is shut down.

2. I am using scene 2019.2. (7.5.5.4303) which should be the last version of 2019.2

3. I did not check on the 2020 .0 version. I do not have a present update subscription, so the 2019.2 is the last one I am entitled to use with the present license.

4. Not having a maintenance contract right now, I am not entitled to receive customer service from FARO

5. When scene crashes, it just shut down by itself. I have no error message nor dialog box. It just disappears.

6. I was unable to find any .dmp file with explorer search function. Is there any folder I could look into?

There something else which is not working:

when I try manual registration and I chose the two scans and click "mark target" very often the two images appear with a blue circle on the bottom right side of them. The blue circle remains turning forever -I have tried to wait for over one hour-, preventing me to go any further.

Then I shut down scene and try again. It takes few times and I am able to do the manual registration, which should be followed with "Optimize Registration" from cloud to cloud. But then starting this process leads to another crash.

Thank you again for your help

Regards
Ferdinando
fobos8
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: Medina Surveys
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by fobos8 »

It's perfectly normal for Scene to crash. It crashes sometimes 5-10 times a day.

I have a well-specced PC. It's good software when it works. I just don't get how they can send this software out of the "factory" for people to use. Do they test any of it? Or is that the customer's job?

It frequently crashes when I delete stuff, it just crashed when I tried to export from a clipping box, it crashes when the wind changes direction.

I give up.
pomped
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts

Post by pomped »

fberna wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am ...
3. I did not check on the 2020 .0 version. I do not have a present update subscription, so the 2019.2 is the last one I am entitled to use with the present license.
6. I was unable to find any .dmp file with explorer search function. Is there any folder I could look into?
ad 3: You should be able to get a trial license for 2020.0

ad 6: Open the Windows Explorer and type %temp% in the address bar and hit enter. Search for *.dmp files in this folder.
pomped
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts

Post by pomped »

fobos8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 am ... it crashes when the wind changes direction.
That's not a bug, it's a feature 8-)

Jokes aside, I am sorry to hear that you encounter so many crashes. Be ensured that the development team invests a great effort into testing and bugfixing consistently. Please reach out to FARO Customer Service if you have a specific problem that you want to address. Regarding crashes, please always send the dump files to [email protected]. We are monitoring and investigating every single dump we get.
fberna
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fberna »

Hi Daniel,

I have seen no answer after I gave you the details you were asking for.

Since I am using the 2019 version, does it make sense to reach for FARO customer service? Will they look into that or just tell me to get the 2020 version?

Since the crash does not generate any dump file is there any other way to investigate the cause?

Thank you for your help and best regards

Ferdinando
pomped
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts

Post by pomped »

Hi Ferdinando,

you should check if the problem still exists in the latest 2020.0 SCENE version. You can find the download link to the installer in the news section of the new UI. Request a trial license on https://insights.faro.com/software-trial-downloads. You can do a side-by-side installation and still work with the 2019.2 version.
If the crash still exists, please reach out to me and I will get you in contact with CS for further investigation.

Regards,
Daniel
JMontie
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: James Montie
Company Details: ReCon Engineering
Company Position Title: Piping Designer

Post by JMontie »

I'm having issues with Scene 2020.0.5.5516. Random crashes when cleaning targets and spheres. I went to the first version of Scene 2020 and it crashed bad, so I went back 2019. I figure by the time they get to the 5 interation it should be stable, wrong.
fberna
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fberna »

hi Daniel,

I have followed your suggestion and installed a trial version of scene 2020.

The problem remains. If I try to register the entire project with cloud to cloud, the process starts and after few minutes it crashes, shutting down the program. It works with top view registration.

I have worked with many larger projects in the past without any problem.

I have now restored the PC so that i can use the 2019 scene version. Otherwise if I open any project with the 2020 I won't be able to use it with the older version once the trial has expired.

If it could help in locating the cause of the problem, I could upload the project to google drive and share the folder.

Thanks for your help and best regards.

Return to “FARO SCENE”