I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Robert Howell
Company Details: Superbob
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro Scene crashing system, HELP!

Post by Superbob3D »

Hey all,

I'm having a big issue with Scene. When trying to mark targets in manual registration, my system will sometimes entirely lock up and I have manually shutdown/reboot. It isn't doing it every time. I'll register a number of scans in a row without issue and then it'll crash. I'll come back and be able to register that scan, but then it'll crash again on the next scan (or several scans later). I've tried to interact with Faro's tech support, but their support portal both confusing and my initial case has already been closed. The only clue I can provide is that it does seem to happen when I have zoomed in on a possible target. I'm wondering if, when I click on a location that doesn't have a point near enough to where I am clicking, something goes haywire.

Anyway, I thought I'd jump in here and see if anyone could give me some direction.

My system (just upgraded a few weeks ago) is Ryzen 9 3950x, a Radeon Pro wx7100, 64 GB of Corsair RAM (@2133) on an Asus prime b450m-a/csm motherboard. Clean install of W10. Latest gpu and bios drivers. OS and software/s on M.2 drive. Data stored on SSD drive. No diagnostic issues that I can ascertain (I am way out of my depth here though. I've run Speccy and it didn't seem to see anything).

I'll state up front that I have a sense that I'm having some base level bottleneck issues that might lay underneath all this. But I don't really have a sense of how robust my system is to begin with. Perhaps my level of performance is commensurate with the build. But I am often seeing (via Task Manager) that my system seems underutilized at times. I thought this system would really have some zip to it (especially with the relatively small point clouds that I'm processing). But perhaps my expectations were too high, I don't know.

Anyway, any input about my build would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I heard from Faro is that it could be a compatibility issue with my gpu. But I don't know what that meant or how to check it.

Thanks a bunch.

bob
Superbob3D
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Re: Faro Scene crashing system, HELP!

Post by Superbob3D »

My apologies to Faro.

I'm getting some response now.

I'll post an update after working with them on this.

b
Superbob3D
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by Superbob3D »

Hey all!

I got some support from Faro that appears to have helped. I wondering if it could be a solution to other issues.

I had to go into "regedit" and:

Go to the following path:

1. Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FARO\SCENE7\Settings

2. Delete the entire “settings folder”

3. Reopen scene and try again.

I just used manual reg to pull together several .e57 scans. It took some time, but it worked.

On a related note: Processing those .e57 scans was continuing to fail for me. On a hunch, I ended up opening them in Cloudcompare and simply re-saving them back out as .e57 files again. Import and process worked fine from there. Not sure what fairy dust CC sprinkled in, but it worked.

I'll post more if it seems relevant.

b
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed »

this is exactly why the founders of the LSF created the forum. you post a question, Faro responds, you get some resolution, share it with your brethren and the entire LSF community benefits. Thank you Bob and all the founders/moderators of the LSF!

(as for Registry edits, I'll leave that to others to try and report back. Makes me nerbous!)
Superbob3D
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by Superbob3D »

Ug....

So, my woes are continuing. While I feel like I have the aptitude to navigate the software/data end of this point cloud work, the IT end is killing me.

Scene continued to have the same issue as above. I'm in contact with Faro. (Alas, I missed a tech's initial call to me and haven't been able to reconnect. Hopefully tomorrow).

But now I'm having issues with Acad. I exported a .rcp out of TBC (without any issues). But ACAD is now crashing when I try to work with the imported .rcp. I have a tech support case started at Autodesk and hope to hear something later today.

But all of this is suggesting a deeper, system issue. I could really use some personalized consultation (i.e. hand-holding). Can anyone recommend a person/service that could help me? I'm willing to scrap my current system if needs be, but I don't want to make such a drastic move until I have some confidence that my efforts will prove fruitful.

My system remains the same as described above. I'm working in TBC, Scene, Cloudcompare, Meshlab and Recap/Autocadd 2020. My projects have hovered around 50 scans max. Been using data from a Trimble x7 and a Faro s70.

Any recommendations will be super duper appreciated!!!!

Thanks all!

bob

Return to “FARO SCENE”