Meshing from a PPC - number of triangles is limited to 325,000?

Discuss FARO SCENE software here.
Hannah_terry
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hannah Terry
Company Details: RCA
Company Position Title: Technical instructor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Meshing from a PPC - number of triangles is limited to 325,000?

Post by Hannah_terry »

I'm trying to maximise the resolution of the meshes I'm outputting from Scene.

I have scoured the forum and been experimented with meshing from multiple clipping boxes along axes but hoping there's more scope with one mesh.
I've also been experimenting with meshing in Geomagic Wrap and CloudCompare but for my workflow I'm convinced it's best to maximise mesh resolution at the beginning in Scene for the sake of the geometry and its accompanying texture that I'll then create a normal map from. This is for multiple downstream uses, one of which will be to then reduce the mesh but apply a high quality normal map for VR/animation workflows. And also 3D print sections of the mesh scaled up so I do really need to maximise my triangle count. I don't have a budget for extra plug-ins - this is all for teaching my students.

40 million should be the maximum number of triangles possible but I seem to be always limited to 325,000. 40 mill sounds lovely! - what are the defining factors that control this limit that I'm getting?

I've made a PPC with Close Surfaces which results in a Project Point Cloud of around 4 mill. I'm presuming that, if I'm currently viewing that PPC not the Scan Point Clouds that meshing from it (via a Clipping Box or selecting) should allow me to mesh at the max 4 million number of triangles but it makes no difference if i'm meshing from a SPC or the PPC - still 325,000.

(Bonus side question! For some reason I can't find out the number of points in an individual Scan Point Cloud by doing RMB > Properties - there is no field for number of points in any of the 10 tabs in the Properties pop-up window).

Thanks for any advice!
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Re: Meshing from a PPC - number of triangles is limited to 325,000?

Post by Mike Annear »

Hi Hannah,
I don't know if Faro Scene has a triangle limit, but there is a couple of other solutions.
You can take your mesh into CloudCompare and extract a new pointcloud from the mesh with a higher pointcount than the original (using the sample points on a mesh function). Then create a new mesh from that using the "Poisson Reconstruct" plugin.
It wont increase your level of detail, but it will create a much neater mesh.
Also...have a look at Autodesk Meshmixer (free), I would be surprised if it didn't have a tool for this.
I have used it for creating closed meshes from open meshes for CNC / 3D printing
Finally, if you want a highly optimized mesh, you could try this with Rhino 3D.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=15562&p=82244#p82244

Regards,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
Hannah_terry
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hannah Terry
Company Details: RCA
Company Position Title: Technical instructor

Re: Meshing from a PPC - number of triangles is limited to 325,000?

Post by Hannah_terry »

Thanks Mike! :-)
Ok, great - I think persisting with CloudCompare may be the best route it seems... Will explore more with all your suggestions - thank you!
I'm also going to contact Scene and see if I can pin this down with them too and I'll post when I get their response.

Return to “FARO SCENE”