V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO S350 Color, HDR vs Laser Illuminated HDR

Post by LPaulCook »

Yesterday I did some testing on a site I will be color scanning Thursday this week. It is a remodel apartment site that went wrong for the owner. There is a notebook full of violations! The contractor and owner decided once they had permits that they could do what every they pleased. Move walls, change window locations, wiring any way they felt like.... on and on. The building was taken back by the lender... now there is a new team that has to fix everything that is not to plan or code. But what got built???

Color is needed on this site to trace out the wiring....

That's where my color scanning comes in. I have a FARO x330 and S350.

I know that in the dark building with bright windows I would have big trouble with color in my S330 but the S350 does excellent HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography with 2 3 or 5 images at different settings to eliminate the high contrast issues with just taking one image.

HDR photography comes with at "time price". The more images taken the longer each setup takes.
At the 1/8 density and a Quality setting of 3 the differences using "horizontal weighted" exposure settings are:

1 image 5:23
2 images 6:43
3 images 8:04
5 images 10:45

If the Even weighted exposure setting is used then each option is about 1 minute shorter.

The "Night" setting in the S350 was worthless. Must not be working as FARO intended...

The finished image difference between 1 image and 5 is remarkable as you will see below.

Then I tried the Laser Illuminated HDR setting in processing using just one (1) image setting and WOW! It looks as clear as the 5 image option (although some non-color in some places appear that were "blown out" in the color image)

I expect to do about 75 scans at this site so the time difference between 1 image or 5 is significant; 6 or 7 hours scanning vs 12 to 14 which would make a second day necessary with the short daylight hours this time of year.

I'll be testing the Even weighted option next.... save another 1.5 hrs if that works as well.

I hope this information helps you too.
1x.png
5x.png
w_laser_light_added.png
night.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR

Re: FARO S350 Color, HDR vs Laser Illuminated HDR

Post by LPaulCook »

I finished the scans yesterday just before sunset. I use 3 scanners and my total station for control on 3 checkered targets at the extents of the site.
Got about 140 scans in color which takes about 4 to 5 minutes each at the setting I used. 1/5 Q3 even single exposure inside and 1/4 Q2 even single exposure.
I used target spheres 200mm and 140mm outside and some checkered targets inside just in case I needed help w top down c2c registration.

This is a 15 unit apartment building, 2 story with just studs inside, walls outside.
20181227_091855.jpg
20181227_095150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
geodezja3d_pl
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D
Company Position Title: owner

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

Thanks for sharing interesting advices.
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction

Post by Jfout »

great information. thanks for the post.
must be nice to have all them tools in your toolbox. i have one S70. :D
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning

Post by tbwester »

great thanks for those results.

Personally think the HDR looks a bit better, but I can't think of too many projects where I wouldnt opt for the quicker single exposure with laser illuminated processing.

Return to “FARO SCENE”