I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chuck VanLandegen
Company Details: BIS
Company Position Title: Account Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Combining Scans from multiple projects

Post by chuckv »

I have a project that was registered and then exported to an RCP file. The RCP was then used in AutoCAD to build a piping model. The coordinates of the model match the Scan/RCP files coordinate system.

I have a new scan project that is in the same area and need to align that project so that it matches the coordinates of the original project.

To set the coordinates of the first project I aligned a wall to a direction and transformed the scans so that a known point matched an arbitrary coordinate. In this case it was 100',100',100' in the X,Y,Z.

When I try to register the two projects I can not lock the original projects coordinates and force the new project to align itself to it. There is not an issue with combining the two projects but the coordinates and rotation of the original project is changed. Is there a way to do prevent this from happening or another method that can be used to realign the points with the original coordinate system?

In cyclone I was able to align my UCS so that it matched the original UCS by exporting it and three known points to AutoCAD. I then transformed the UCS box by aligning the 3 points to their desired coordinates. Finally I imported the UCS box back into my project. When I set my UCS using the imported box everything was realigned to the original coordinates system.
rbrch
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Roy Beukeveld
Company Details: Emmtec Engineering
Company Position Title: Mechanical Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Combining Scans from multiple projects

Post by rbrch »

Hi,

How are you trying to register the two projects to each other?
Do you have corresponding targets in both projects or are you trying to do it c2c or with manually identified objects like planes?

I have done this in the past, problem was that the two project areas were close, but not overlapping. I made a couple of scans from a central point in project 1 from where i had lots of overlap and was able to make objects from walls and floor which i gave corresponding names in project 1 and in the connection scans.
That couple of scans was put in a cluster. It was registered sphere based, and after that this cluster was set to "force current" without locking the scan manager.

After that i registered the entire cluster against project 1 target based with forced names. If i remember correctly the project 1 cluster was set to fixed.

The original alignment and origin were intact.
Maybe you have tried it this way, if not perhaps worth giving a try.
Kind regards,
Roy

Return to “FARO SCENE”