I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Robin Ault
Company Details: Downland Partnership
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

E57 to Webshare

Post by robin ault »

Hi to the collective mind.

I have come across a little problem and hope someone can help.

We have been asked to put some old data (registered in Cyclone) into a Faro webshare.
I have exported the data as e57 and brought it into Scene (5.5.5). the data is in the right place and the 3d view and Plannar views are fine but the quick view on some of the scanns has gone haywire and are very wrong. As the webshare uses the quick views this means the webshare is unusable. The only clue which scanns are fine is a small 3 on the battome of the cloud symbol on the workspace tree.

Has anyone come across this or know if there is away around this.
cheers

Rob
heidem
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Martin Heide
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Senior 3D Software Engineer

Re: E57 to Webshare

Post by heidem »

Hi Rob,
can you please try to use SCENE 6.0 or later? There has been a related bug fix in that version which probably solves your issues.

If you only have a license for 5.5, you can still make use of the trial period, or download SCENE LT from here ("SCENE LT 6.1.0.29 - 64 bit Setup with Manual"): http://www.faro.com/products/faro-softw ... s#Download

Best regards,
Martin
robin ault
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Robin Ault
Company Details: Downland Partnership
Company Position Title: Director

Post by robin ault »

Thanks Heidem we have avoided version 6 so far as it does not fit with our workflow, but may give the trial version a go .

Rob
KGrothman
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Ken
Company Details: Gilbane Building Company
Company Position Title: Sr. VDC Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by KGrothman »

Robin,

I have never tried to get .E57 into webshare, but I'm pretty sure that the quickview function is related to the .FLS format and is not available with an .E57.

The .FLS embeds a lot of other data outside of the list of data points, like the inclinometer, altimeter, compass, gps, color photographs, and scanner location (i.e. the little scanner model when looking at .fls in 3D view). And that scanner location is the key to quick view, without that no quick view.

.E57 is a bit more old school way of cataloging point cloud data, still an awesome file format. But, it only captures the X,Y,Z and RGB of the points, no scanner location no quick view.

Also, I thought Scene would throw an warning upon loading .E57 that there is no planar or quickview available. Maybe they changed that, I havent tried in a while.
Ken Grothman
Sr. VDC Engineer at Gilbane Building Co
Image: @vdc_Ken
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

You need scan index data for this to work.

The webshare files depend on several things for functionality.

First, the panoramic pictures generated in SCENE from the data captured by the scanner. The E57 format does not retain pictures so you're out of luck here

Second, the pointcloud view relies on X,Y,Z coordinates with or without RGB values (For color obviously). It will also need the scan index data which would contain the scanner location. For an E57 file comprised of several scans, it is unlikely that you have any individual scan index/scanner position data for this to make use of.

So therefore, an E57 scan will not be helpful in webshare form, unless perhaps you create a virtual scan or scans of the E57 pointcloud to use, and i'm being wildly theoretical here.
DONATSCH AG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Fadri Jecklin
Company Details: Civil Engineering an Surveying
Company Position Title: Lead Laserscanning

Post by DONATSCH AG »

Try to export the data as ptx. Import to Scene, create WebShare data. Works fine at least with the ptx out of Riscan Pro.
heidem
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Martin Heide
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Senior 3D Software Engineer

Post by heidem »

As Tommy said, E57 is a format with various options, so it all depends on which exact variant the exporting software (Cyclone) chooses. If the E57 file contains scan-centric data, the WebShare export should be able to use them. (This is even possible for several scan positions.) If not, you can still create Virtual Scans, or resort to another exchange file format.
jochenstier
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jochen Stier
Company Details: Geist Software Labs
Company Position Title: Founder
Skype Name: jochen.stier

Post by jochenstier »

I just stumbled across this thread and would like to tag on a few related questions. My goal is to develop an importer for .fls files in order to display them online at www.voxxlr.com. That would include the panoramic image as well as any available structured data.

I am now wondering if there is a parser for the .fls file. Ideally it would be in source code, because I need this to run it on linux? I haven't found anything online yet. Assuming that it is proprietary, what is the next best open data format that you can export form SCENE. Does E57 retain all the necessary information from the .fls file. I.e if you export an .fls to e57 and then re-import it, does it look exactly the same? That would be proof enough.

Return to “FARO SCENE”