Which Filters do you use?

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Casey Cockrell
Company Details: Land surveying firm in North East Texas
Company Position Title: Owner RPLS
Linkedin Profile: No

Which Filters do you use?

Post by SouthernSurvey »

preprocess.png
These are my usual preprocess settings whenever I import scans into scene. I am usually outside on oilfield construction sites. Later after I register everything I colorize scans. Any suggestions?

Casey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader

Re: Which Filters do you use?

Post by jcoco3 »

This is what I usually do...it might not be right, but it has worked for me :)
I usually filter for stray and dark points with Scene's default settings then browse the data to see if anything I was interested in was removed(which is rarely the case). Be sure to check what the default filters are set to for first load, you may be repeating a step during pre-processing if your scans were already filtered during the first load.
defaultfilter.PNG
Dark point at 300 for most scans will work fine, 200 or 100 to retain rusty and low reflectance materials. I have gone up to 800 or 1000 on Dark point filter to remove heavy steam, but only the really bad scans of the project. I will usually keep stray filter on default settings, but bump the grid to 4 for outdoor scans that have what appears to be a semi-spherical sky full of dust. On export to .pod I have been running a spatial filter of .125" to 2" depending on the needs of the project. This can dramatically reduce the size of the export, but usually retains enough points to be use-able. After export if you notice too much range noise or "fuzz" when cutting sections then go back to Scene and use the noise compression tool on 2:1 reduction. You will loose a bunch of data but the fuzz will be flattened out.

Scene's default settings are a pretty good start in most cases.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Casey Cockrell
Company Details: Land surveying firm in North East Texas
Company Position Title: Owner RPLS

Post by SouthernSurvey »

What settings would some of you use to filter a little bit of the dust coming off of pipes etc? I can filter these stray points in RealWorks if I am the one processing the scan data, but when I send the .fls files on to other people, I would like to cut down on some of the noise because they aren't going to filter scan data, they are just going to start modeling it.
Geo Scan Surveying
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: Geo Scan Surveying Solutions
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Geo Scan Surveying »

Filtering Stray points in Realworks....... How? I wish i knew! i am doing this in Scene first before import but it is an extra step in the processing and cannot be done post-registration. Realworks stray point filtering would be a Godsend
Leandre Robitaille
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I do edge artifact and the default stray point filter. I use the new interface to do the first import /process since it offers the edge artifact filter you can't get easily on the 5.5 interface

Return to “FARO SCENE”