V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

New scene version

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Reading about a new Scene version i really hope they tackle the c2c registration. Until now it is still bad, had some scans done in small spaces which weren't possible with the Riegl. All lights again on green, nothing much to see in Scene but after a transfer in Pointcab there where again mismatches which were ok in Scene.

I had to register in Riscan to sort it out. I'm not in he ability to buy yet another registration software like Scantra but hope for the best with Scene, even having my fingers crossed Pointcab will do a c2c soon. This would be a game changer.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
RealVisuals
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Vincent
Company Details: 3D scanning
Company Position Title: CEO

Re: New scene version

Post by RealVisuals »

We always double check the data with clippingboxes in both directions.
Green lights is what the software thinks it's good, but we also have some bad registrations, even with green lights!

Good point for new version!
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

RealVisuals wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:40 pm We always double check the data with clippingboxes in both directions.
Green lights is what the software thinks it's good, but we also have some bad registrations, even with green lights!

Good point for new version!
I hate the clipping boxes. Also you cannot lock tje scans which are good and process the bad ones again, a real pain. In Riscan i can lock which ever scans are fine and let the rest recalculate to tjese lickes ones.

Making clusters of 3 scans is not my idea of being productive. Luckily i don't have to register in scene a lot.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

We still get better results in Cyclone than we do in Scene, even with a Faro scanner and fls files, especially when using controlled targets coordinates.
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood »

When the new version will be available? Faro improved Scene quite a bit over the last couple years, their CC is much better, I hope that their filters gets a good overhaul this time or maybe in the near future, I also would like to register the scan against the actual cad model.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

bdawood wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:18 pm When the new version will be available? Faro improved Scene quite a bit over the last couple years, their CC is much better, I hope that their filters gets a good overhaul this time or maybe in the near future, I also would like to register the scan against the actual cad model.
C2c doesn't have to get better, it should work. This software costs enough and people who are paying maintenance have the right to get a good product.

Scene is slow, gives false results and no interaction from the operator is possible.

If you have a cluster to connect to another cluster, why isn'tbthere tje possibility to choose the scans you want to process instead of going through the whole cluster again and again...

The times a project was 20 scans like in their demo videos is long gone...
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:47 pmScene is slow, gives false results and no interaction from the operator is possible.
Agreed, I would also clarify that from my viewpoint it is slow in the sense of human time, which is the worst possible way to be slow. Although I'm sure the various computations could be optimized I don't really see their current speed as a major problem. It's the overall workflow that is slow. As soon as you have an environment that is even modestly complex it is really difficult to control how the registration proceeds and evaluate its reliability. Clipping boxes are an incredibly inefficient and error prone way to do QC and not something I would want to rely upon. When you do find registration errors working out how to resolve them can also be a bit of a puzzle.

A few changes (including a more user friendly way to lock individual scans) could make Scene a lot better, so here's hoping they did spend some time on core registration features this time around. I would really like to be able to use Scene as our core registration package rather than just a glorified preprocessor.
Jed
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:37 pm Reading about a new Scene version i really hope they tackle the c2c registration. Until now it is still bad, had some scans done in small spaces which weren't possible with the Riegl. All lights again on green, nothing much to see in Scene but after a transfer in Pointcab there where again mismatches which were ok in Scene.

I had to register in Riscan to sort it out. I'm not in he ability to buy yet another registration software like Scantra but hope for the best with Scene, even having my fingers crossed Pointcab will do a c2c soon. This would be a game changer.
Hi,

I am also waiting for cloud2cloud from PointCab. I know that R&D has been working on this topic for a while. As I understand the PointCab people, they are not interested in releasing another medium C2C solution that struggled after 30 or 50 scans and had a bad error summation. Also the time for calculation is a very important issue if you want to process larger point cloud data sets.
Maybe as a conclusion, they are working hard to bring a solution to the market that brings what you expected from them.

But we are also happy to see FARO improving their performance.

Free providers like PointCab or Scantra are a little limited in the calculation. For the definition of the configuration of the scans to each other, the manufacturers meanwhile use many sensors (VIS, GPS, IMU etc.). These data are not output to third party suppliers via the SDK. Therefore the performance of the manufacturers solutions can often be better.

However, if you combine scans from different sources UAV, TLS or TLS and handheld scanners, then external solutions may be able to show their advantage, because they are not designed for one type of device.

regards.. ..Eric
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Hmm I usually agree with you but not so much here.

I would make two statements:

You cannot shave with the handle of the razor and then complain about poor results.

Different dos not guarantee better, it only guarantees different.
Ralphieboy
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Ralph V Pendergraph
Company Details: PTS Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Ralphieboy »

I can report one thing based on being a rookie and my first test cluster with a Focus and Scene 2019.2. Scene may have improved the c2c. Small area around my 0.25 acre residential lot, 9 scans. I didn't have enough spheres, so I had to register c2c(with Lieven's gracious help). I brought in the las files to TBC and it did a really nice georeference to 4 total station control points and checked to a few others. Less than a centimeter H/V against 4 control points with checks to several more. Will this be duplicated on a larger site without spheres?

Return to “FARO SCENE”