Cyclone Core

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
JNally
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Senior Engineering Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone Core

Post by JNally »

Morning all,

In a recent conversation with HDS support. I was told Cyclone Core was "coming to the end of its journey". Now while I was well aware of this, and after being a user of Core for the last 10 years or so I have 1 or 2 questions...

Has anyone heard a date when it will become EOL. What will happen then? Will their be some kind of legacy license?

What happens to those of us that simply don't want to move to REG360?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Cyclone Core

Post by badam »

I suppose you already have a permanent license, that will work as long as you keep it activated don't need to buy ccp.

However last year they changed the licensing so everyone with register 360 plus license can run cyclone register as well. So i suppose if you need to buy new seats than it is an option.

Your software will still work with this state EOL means there is no update/support for it. So probably newer device firmwares won't be supported (don't upgrade current hardware, but probably if later you wanna buy something new, than you'll need to change software).
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I hope that we can keep being able to import Reg360 projects to core as all our RTC360 data goes to Reg360 first. Then cleaned and fully registered in Core along with any P40 data.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

I was told you need to write a letter to ask for Cyclone Core licenses now if its a new request...
I did also hear that it wont be tied to Reg360 more as mentioned previously.
End of an era.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

steves01x wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 pm I hope that we can keep being able to import Reg360 projects to core as all our RTC360 data goes to Reg360 first. Then cleaned and fully registered in Core along with any P40 data.
Well currently with changing file format in 2023.1, i don't really know if it is supported right now. But probably there will be changes in the future which will break that functionality. Which is a ticking bomb
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Limited
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

What are you guys going to use instead of CORE?

Cleaning, layering, data extraction, I still use CORE for a lot of things, it's reliable and it works. Going forward, I guess you could import e.57's, but not ideal. Is it still on Leica's roadmap to bring REG360 up to parity with CORE?

We periodically hire Cyclone 3DR, it is pretty great, but the price is tough to swallow.

I've tried a lot of software for digitising such as LSS, BricsCAD etc... but wondering what others are using? For some modelling and even CAD, we still use Rhino3D.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

Jamesrye wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:12 am What are you guys going to use instead of CORE?
We're 'lucky' to already have 3DR, so I guess we'll have to make that work.

I've got my own routine for cleaning scans in CORE on heritage projects, and I hate change. :? :(
JNally
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Senior Engineering Surveyor

Post by JNally »

When I started in this company there were no inhouse surveying so after buying a Total Station, GPS, Scanner (P40) and the rest we decided to just rent our CYCLONE CORE license in blocks. It was €170 for 2 weeks which was quite good. I am the only one in the office making use of the software and am on site 60 - 70% of the time so I would block all my registering together and get it done "usually" within those 2 weeks. Its now gone up to €150/week now. After a while of being oblivious to the price increase I asked our supplier about the cost of a permanent license and was given a somewhat "uncertain" answer on whether or not that license would cover CORE going forward. We have stuck to renting now just incase. I still don't touch REG360 for anything. I'm used to Core and always trust the output more.

I use N4CE to digitize when I need to and we REVIT model everything.

I'm sure Leica will do something eventually to isolate the program and force a move to REG. If they were going to bring REG360 up to parity with CORE, why haven't they done it yet? I understand its not a simple click of a button and its done. But its not like the software is only 3-6 months old.

Another thing I wonder which is kind of separate but not at the same time. Does Leica have anything in the pipeline for the next evolution from the
P-Series?
A proper "SURVEY" grade scanner that can traverse and resect, in the field target identification, etc etc not a turn on and hit go like the RTC, BLK.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

JNally wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:38 pm I'm sure Leica will do something eventually to isolate the program and force a move to REG. If they were going to bring REG360 up to parity with CORE, why haven't they done it yet? I understand its not a simple click of a button and its done. But its not like the software is only 3-6 months old.

Another thing I wonder which is kind of separate but not at the same time. Does Leica have anything in the pipeline for the next evolution from the
P-Series?
A proper "SURVEY" grade scanner that can traverse and resect, in the field target identification, etc etc not a turn on and hit go like the RTC, BLK.
Feels like they've been sunsetting Core for a while now. Slowly moving some functionality into 3DR and some into Register 360. No question it'll happen. I can't remember if they added support for the LGSx file in core or not, if they didn't, then the sunset might happen at the end of 2025 when they stop supporting the LGS file and move everything to the LGSx file.

They most certainly will update the P-Series.... But no clue on when. I can't imagine they would let that line of scanners die without either an update, or a new line of scanner to take it's place. Like most releases, it'll probably happen at Hexagon Live when it occurs again next year. Hopefully they announce a new RTC and P-Series, but one can only hope :lol:
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Limited
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Wish list for me would be to retain the RTC360 form factor, but give it some sort of proper handle on the side and give it the ability to fine scan targets. But I wonder if flash LiDAR will be the future.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”