Problems applying control to existing registration

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Hobbitfoot
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Hobbitfoot
Company Details: OMA
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Problems applying control to existing registration

Post by Hobbitfoot »

I've registered the initial part of my project of 200+ scans using targets but after doing more checks I discovered that there needs to be further control added to the project. I've since also had an additional 200 scans for the same project.

When I attempt to apply the new control file to all of the scans Register 360 crashes. If I combine the scans into a single bundle the it crashes. If I break up the target file into smaller chunks it crashes.

Is there a way around this or do I need to restart the project entirely? I've put about a week into this already so I'd like to salvage something from it. any solutions, greatly appreciated.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: Problems applying control to existing registration

Post by Jamesrye »

I have had a similar issue in the past.

Do you have access to Cyclone Core, this is how I correct a lot of REG360 problems.
Hobbitfoot
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Hobbitfoot
Company Details: OMA
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Hobbitfoot »

I do have core. This is the first project I've tried registering with Register 360. What do you recommend? There are over 400 scans and nearly 750 targets.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Edit: loads of info below. But short answer is that you can right click a project file in CORE and then choose 'import Register 360 project'.
Edit2: contact Leica tech support, they have helped me in the past. As to how I would deal with this....
Edit3: 400 scans shouldn't be a problem to register. In my experience though, REG360 doesn't always find the center of targets, this will show up nicely in CORE if that's the case. Just disable all the targets, and look at the residuals.

The problem with REG360 is that it doesn't hold the data level when applying to control. So if you want to apply control in REG360 (and hold your scans level), your control needs to be a higher order than the scanning. I.e. you need to level between the control points and you need to shoot the network in with a total station. You can read about it on numerous threads, including this one:

https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 89#p104389

I am surprised that the problem persists. One would think it is a simple fix.

My approach to your work would be:
Register the data in REG360
Do not finalise it
Import the REG360 project to CORE
Open the Registration and re-run the cloud alignments - you will usually find the cloud alignment is better in CORE as well. Not sure why this is. Note, all the scans should be toggled to levelled automatically
Finalise the registration (REG1).

Make a new registration, import the registration (REG1) and then the control. Now you get the true error in your project. Good to know.
If you want to force the scans to fit at the control points, delete this new registration, unfreeze REG1 and import the control in there. Now the error gets spread around in the cloud alignments.

In your case, you'd have two projects in CORE.
Open one of the registrations (bundle1) - then 'import registration' and import bundle 2. Now cloud align using the visual alignment tool 2 scans so that you will have one bundle. Run the cloud alignments.

In Core, you can also run all the possible cloud alignments to really tighten the whole thing up, And you can understand the stats more easily.

To this day, no one has been able to explain clearly what 'strength' means in REG360.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”