New PC for Register360

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 related issues here.
Kruse
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps
Company Position Title: Lead VDC Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: New PC for Register360

Post by Kruse »

So I've been down this rabbit hole several times since our company is slowly switching over to the Leica scanners and software platform and this is the ultimate build I've been able to come up with with minimizing the overall time constraints with Register 360... For outdoor scans (scan density only changes import times per setup by a second or two) where you have an open sky - import times are averaging right at 1 minute 31 seconds a setup with 5K images imported. For indoor scans, this is very dependent on the environment, i.e. are you in a fully built out office building with paint, carpet, ceilings etc. or on a construction site with metal studs exposed, metal decking, concrete reinforcing, etc.. You can see a wide range of import durations. For 5K image import in a finished room/area, It's averaging around 2 minutes 45 seconds a setup. When on a construction site with metal studs, concrete reinforcing, metal decking etc. I'm seeing my import times take closer to 3 minutes and 15 seconds a setup. Something with more detail in the full 360 image that takes longer to process compared to an outdoor scan open to the sky above.

For each of those times/examples, when you lower the image import settings from 5K to 4K, the import time is literally cut in half for my machine. So a 1.5 minute import per setup is now 45 seconds. From 4K to 2K, I'm seeing about 20-22 seconds a setup for import, and if I ever choose to import at 1K resolution for some reason, I'm seeing import times of around 10-15 seconds a setup (been a while since I've imported at those low resolutions though. Those times relate to outdoor scans, but a nearly identical time differential/image resolution occurs for indoor scans as well.

So my current machines specs are as follows:

CPU - Threadripper 3970X - 32 core 64 threads - base clock of 3.7GHz and boost of 4.5GHz
128GB of DDR4 3200 RAM
Nvidia 3090 GPU
Primary/C Drive - Firecuda 520 Gen4 2TB M.2 SSD
Secondary/D Drive - Firecuda 520 Gen4 2TB M.2 SSD
12 TB Western Digital SATA 3 HDD for archiving

Knowing what I know now and how Register 360 likes to use its resources, I would now spec a system as such:

CPU - Same 3970X, it offers a great balance of single core speed and has the horse power for multithreaded applications. The 3990X (64 Core 128 Thread) Would potentially be faster as a whole for Register 360, but the slower single threaded performance might be enough to slow it down after the import phase since link creation, optimization, exporting seems to be a mostly single threaded part of the application. During Import, my CPU is mostly pegged at 100% during import, so more CPU cores, typically the better for import times and minimizing them through Register 360 or Cyclone Basic.
GPU - whatever works for your budget here honestly, Register 360 doesn't really seem to care or use a GPU much through any of the phases of a registration workflow. I would get a GPU that will work best for your Autodesk applications, so an A Series (professional series) GPU from NVidia would be ideal, but once again, really up to your budget for this item.
RAM - no question, get as much RAM as your budget can handle. I routinely use all 128GB of my RAM during import with 5K images and seems to be the biggest bottle neck for me right now during my workflows with Register 360. I'll be upgrading my system to 256GB before the end of the year.
Primary System Storage - Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD - Currently the fastest M.2 SSD on the market I believe
Secondary system storage - Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Gen4 M.2 SSD - a secondary drive that's just as fast as your primary is critical to Register 360 and optimizing speed. Due to how Register 360 saves/used temp files and where you direct it to save them at, can be one of the biggest bottle necks to a workflow, so a secondary FAST drive is critical.
Archiving storage - If not on a server, buy the biggest mechanical HDD your budget will allow. I archive all my project files and save them for a couple months before deleting the working/.RAF files Other than that, I export/archive all the RAW scans and exported datasets for the life of our projects.

So with my job, I use Register 360, Cyclone 3DR, the vast majority of Autodesk applications, and Adobe Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects. With my current computer, I believe it has the best overall performance for my daily software needs. Sure, there are always going to be certain applications and workflows where I'm taking a hit, but overall, this is the best bang for your buck. Before buying my current system, I reviewed all my applications and workflows with a Puget Systems Rep and spec'ed out my current desktop to be the best overall fit using Puget's knowledge of the various software. From that, I have what I believe is an incredibly well rounded and extremely powerful systems while taking as little of a hit to my workflow needs. When trying to spec out a similar system through HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc., you're easily looking at a 25K machine. But a custom build through Puget, was just under 8K. Right now, we're purchasing another 5 or so desktops using this information above.

Having this machine now for over a year and processing over 12,000 setups, while also using Revit, Civil 3D, Navisworks, the Adobe software suite, Leica Cyclone Basic, Register 360, 3DR, Cloudworx, etc... I feel I have a pretty good background and experience and can confidently say that the systems I described above will offer about the best overall performance for Register 360 in addition to whatever software you can throw at it. I'll try my best to get back to anyone with questions.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”