Register 360 Performance degradation and rendering issues

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
daniel.jansson
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Daniel Jansson
Company Details: Teodoliten Mätteknik AB
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Consultant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Register 360 Performance degradation and rendering issues

Post by daniel.jansson »

badam wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:37 pm
daniel.jansson wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am These 2 steps are by far the biggest culprits during import:

Import::ReadAllImageData, 20.3, GB, 33, GB, 245, seconds
HandleMainScanData::BuildScene, 15.6, GB, 38.6, GB, 733, seconds
These are not very good numbers, where are the sources are kept during import, just to sort it out try to copy the source files to-from the source and project directory in windows explorer and see how fast it can read/write...

Code: Select all

###############################
RTC360: Job 214- stp002 Import time 235.381 Seconds total 
Note, Used, GB, Available, GB, Delta, Seconds
Import::Initialize, 4.31, GB, 50.4, GB, 0.015, seconds
Import::ReadAllImageData, 9.67, GB, 48, GB, 71.5, seconds
HandleMainScanData::ReadScanInfo, 9.82, GB, 47.8, GB, 7.72, seconds
HandleMainScanData::WriteArchiveFile, 9.85, GB, 47.8, GB, 1.6, seconds
HandleMainScanData::BuildScene, 11, GB, 46.7, GB, 140, seconds
HandleMainScanData::ScrubScanDataPoints, 11, GB, 46.7, GB, 0.025, seconds
HandleMainScanData::Create Thumbnail, 11, GB, 46.7, GB, 2.29, seconds
HandleMainScanData::Rotate Points, 11, GB, 46.7, GB, 0.0686, seconds
HandleMainScanData::ProcessScanPoints, 11.1, GB, 46.5, GB, 1.9, seconds
HandleMainScanData::CreateCubemapsForWayPoint, 11.8, GB, 45.9, GB, 3.01, seconds
HandleMainScanData::ColorizePoints, 11.9, GB, 45.8, GB, 0.293, seconds
HandleMainScanData::WriteToPointCloud, 12.1, GB, 45.6, GB, 2.37, seconds
HandleAllSubScanData::Done, 11.9, GB, 45.8, GB, 0.029, seconds
Import::FinalizePointCloud, 11.6, GB, 46.1, GB, 3.51, seconds
Done, 4.36, GB, 53.3, GB, 0.749, seconds
###############################
this is from nas to nas. Is your data come from RTC360 FW4.0? if it is not confidential, if you send them i can try to import that.
Yes data is from RTC360 FW4.0.

I have two internal 2Tb NVMe m2 SSD drives. 1 with windows, software installations and temp folder. The other with project storage and raw data where I import from. It doesn't really matter if I place the raw data on the first or second drive though.

Those numbers that you are showing are basically what I had on the 2020 version with the same setup. I will see if I have something I could send.
virtuoso
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Ant
Company Details: Mck
Company Position Title: BIM engineer

Post by virtuoso »

Just looked up at the first page of this thread. We are currently running Register 360 from 2019 (don't have CCP atm). When I reach around 500ish scan number in Register 360, and when I'm merging a lot of jobs to create one it tends to crash. And now I'm seeing in first post making wooping 1000+scans. Is it worth (need to convince boss probably :D) paying CCP and upgrade to 2021 (I read there were some issuses with georeferencing, is that solved? ). I see that on one machine @badam has for example 32GB of RAM. I remember reading on some Leica spreadsheet that they recommend upgrading to 256 GB of RAM for registering 500+scans. What is the limit with Register actually?

My machine is:

Xeon W-2265
128GB RAM
RTX Quadro 4000
2x1TB SSD
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

virtuoso wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 am Just looked up at the first page of this thread. We are currently running Register 360 from 2019 (don't have CCP atm). When I reach around 500ish scan number in Register 360, and when I'm merging a lot of jobs to create one it tends to crash. And now I'm seeing in first post making wooping 1000+scans. Is it worth (need to convince boss probably :D) paying CCP and upgrade to 2021 (I read there were some issuses with georeferencing, is that solved? ). I see that on one machine @badam has for example 32GB of RAM. I remember reading on some Leica spreadsheet that they recommend upgrading to 256 GB of RAM for registering 500+scans. What is the limit with Register actually?

My machine is:

Xeon W-2265
128GB RAM
RTX Quadro 4000
2x1TB SSD
is it 1.6.2? we have done 1000+ setups in that version as well. Crash can happen everyday but you can continue your work after that without any hassle..

i think currently the 2020.1 is the best, it has issues but not that critical, (sometimes frozen controls, slower export (if you only export separated structured 57)), 2021.X.X has a performance penalty which are not solved currently.

I should note that we are using small resoltuion scans indoor and medium high res in outdoor. so it is like 50-100 high/medium and the rest are small res.

Georeferencing issues are solved right now with 2021.1.1,

with 2021.1.1 i had a failed import around 2700 setup, so currently that is the limit. it is not an exact number, but you cannot import a lot more than that.

2020.1 and earlier versions this number is around 2000 setups,

You don't need better hardware than that.
128 GB is. As you can see that GPU is just not matter much... An AMD apu is working fine... But of course if you have it... (i can open and register/add links to those projects with that machines seen in the first post... ) lot of memory is only needed during import or if you use some automatic tools like floor detection/moving object, etc...)

My recomendations are that disable automatic bundle optimization, and a huge storage area... Keep your bundles small until the last step...
virtuoso
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Ant
Company Details: Mck
Company Position Title: BIM engineer

Post by virtuoso »

badam wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 am
virtuoso wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 am Just looked up at the first page of this thread. We are currently running Register 360 from 2019 (don't have CCP atm). When I reach around 500ish scan number in Register 360, and when I'm merging a lot of jobs to create one it tends to crash. And now I'm seeing in first post making wooping 1000+scans. Is it worth (need to convince boss probably :D) paying CCP and upgrade to 2021 (I read there were some issuses with georeferencing, is that solved? ). I see that on one machine @badam has for example 32GB of RAM. I remember reading on some Leica spreadsheet that they recommend upgrading to 256 GB of RAM for registering 500+scans. What is the limit with Register actually?

My machine is:

Xeon W-2265
128GB RAM
RTX Quadro 4000
2x1TB SSD
is it 1.6.2? we have done 1000+ setups in that version as well. Crash can happen everyday but you can continue your work after that without any hassle..

i think currently the 2020.1 is the best, it has issues but not that critical, (sometimes frozen controls, slower export (if you only export separated structured 57))

I should note that we are using small resoltuion scans indoor and medium high res in outdoor. so it is like 50-100 high/medium and the rest are small res.

Georeferencing issues are solved right now with 2021.1.1,

with 2021.1.1 i had a failed import around 2700 setup, so currently that is the limit. it is not an exact number, but you cannot import a lot more than that.

2020.1 and earlier versions this number is around 2000 setups,

You don't need better hardware than that.
128 GB is fine maybe you can replace that old xeom platform for a ryzen/threeadripper platform because it has so much more power than that. As you can see that GPU is just not matter much... An AMD apu is working fine... But of course if you have it... (i can open and register/add links to those projects with that machines seen in the first post... ) Memory is only needed during import or if you have some automatic tools like floor detection/moving object, etc...)

My reqomendations are that disable automatic bundle optimization, and a huge storage area... Keep your bundles small until the last step...

Well the workstation is brand new Lenovo one, so I guess we will need to stick with Xeon. Probably I will run out of memory. It is just so frustrating how much the software is lagging. Can anyone confirm that for example when starting reg360 it opens fairly quickly with new update? To me it is opening like 2 3 minutes. I had done already 10 projects, and relocated them on server machine. Same when opening storage locations. It is opening like minute or so long. Frustrating. Sometimes even buttons like setup or bundle view stop responding. Is that better on newer versions?

For bundles, yes I keep them around 50 scans or so. but becomes difficult to find a place to attach them when you are in sitemap and you can see whole building, lots of lines from for example floors beneath and stuff like that.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

later i've modified my answer after i saw what that xeon is looks and it will be good for everything....

as for register opening, and project handling it will not be faster, but leica official answer is that you will have to archive the projects and delet from the database...

that is why i created this topic earlier...
in short you will need separated server databese for every project if you don't want to use their solution...
https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 242#p93242

in original sometimes the reg is lagging that is normal and didn't changed at all.. especially when setups/links are shown and you change view or sitemap. it will take some time.. as you can see in our videos it takes a few sec to load but after that it works.
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

I just noticed REG360 2021.1.0 has no fence tool in setup cloud anymore. Even the keyboard command doesn't work.

Cleaning noise and reflections just got that much harder.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

Mrk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 am I just noticed REG360 2021.1.0 has no fence tool in setup cloud anymore. Even the keyboard command doesn't work.

2021.1.1 has it i haven't seen that but i might overlooked. so if you already changed to 2021.X.x, you should upgrade to 2021.1.1 the topview issues can worked around by t,z,f keyboard shortcuts, so not that bad because it can be done by one hand...

and i think you should upgrade the gpu driver as well, because one of the forum user had gui issue which was resolved by gpu driver clean install. he/she didn't see the right click context menu, and could not select setups.
elsonj
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: James Elson
Company Details: SCCS
Company Position Title: HDS Support

Post by elsonj »

Mrk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 am I just noticed REG360 2021.1.0 has no fence tool in setup cloud anymore. Even the keyboard command doesn't work.

The fence tool is still available in setup cloud. The icon maybe hidden due to your window configuration.

REG360 Window.PNG

Move the toolbar extents to the right ( Blue arrow) and it should show.

Regards

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

elsonj wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:51 am

The fence tool is still available in setup cloud. The icon maybe hidden due to your window configuration.

REG360 Window.PNG

Regards

James
i don't think that would be the case currently because the hotkeys should work without the icons. maybe he was in link cloud which has a bug in it (fence tool is missing in link cloud). And i think it is already reported because our sales rep told us this issue, butwe don't really use that functionality so i didn't mentioned that as a critical issue.
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

elsonj wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:51 am

REG360 Window.PNG

Regards

James
Thanks for your suggestion. Collapsing the toolbar is a sufficient workaround.

It is weird that all other keyboard shortcuts work, and all other tool icons stack in the dropdown menu when hidden by the properties panel, but the fence tool does not.

It seems this bug has always been in REG360, I've just been downgraded to a smaller laptop and found it missing with my reduced screen real estate :(
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”