Cyclone level error/Visual alignment

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Josh_B
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joshua Bretscher
Company Details: Universe Corporation
Company Position Title: Project Modeler
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone level error/Visual alignment

Post by Josh_B »

I recently scanned a project with a Leica P40, and there were a total of 46 scans. All of these scans are show up in the registration as leveled, however, when using visual alignment to apply cloud constraints some appear to be not leveled. When using the visual alignment to apply cloud constraints between some of the first and last scans it is visually obvious that one scan is tilted compared to the other. What is odd, however, is that this tilt disappears when viewing the scans in anything other than the visual constraint view. For instance, viewing the interim results between the first and last scan produces a view where neither scan is tilted relative to each other. The error shown for the cloud constraints between the first and last scans is significantly higher than all the other errors, and I believe this due to the fact that one shows up tilted when visually aligning them. Is there anything I could have done while scanning or registering that could have caused something like this?

Edit: Only the last 3 scans show up tilted in the visual alignment. I did turn the scanner off and then back on again right before performing the last 3 scans. The last 3 scans do NOT appear tilted when trying to visually align them among themselves.
Last edited by Josh_B on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moc
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matthias S
Company Details: TPI
Company Position Title: 3D-Team Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Cyclone level error/Visual alignment

Post by Moc »

Is the scan itself tilted somehow? You can check for the "seam" or overlap in each scan at 0° and 180°. If you go into truespace and look on the floor, it is easy to see a thin area, where the point cloud is more dense. Check for elevation deviations in a distance of 5 to 10 meters in the overlapping area.
Josh_B
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Josh_B »

Just checked and there is a slight variation at the seam (~0.05"). This is roughly what it is for a few of the scans I checked that are not tilted. It is just odd to me that the last 3 scans only appear tilted in the visual alignment window. Registered in a modelspace they do not appear tilted. Is there anything coordinate system/origin wise I could have accidentally changed? (Also edited original statement to say that the 3 scans do NOT appear tilted relative to each other in the visual alignment window)
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Double checking - are they nominated as "[Levelled]" in the scan list? This obviously locks the scan horizontally. If the compensator was turned off and the scan is not set as levelled it will be allowed to tilt in the cloud-to-cloud.
Josh_B
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Josh_B »

jamesworrell wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 pm Double checking - are they nominated as "[Levelled]" in the scan list? This obviously locks the scan horizontally. If the compensator was turned off and the scan is not set as levelled it will be allowed to tilt in the cloud-to-cloud.
Yes, all scans I'm trying to register have the "[Levelled]" after their name in the scan list.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”