Register 360 not using Nvidia GPU during import of RTC360

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
twong
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Terence Wong
Company Details: Contra Costa County Sheriff Crime Lab
Company Position Title: Criminalist
Linkedin Profile: No

Register 360 not using Nvidia GPU during import of RTC360

Post by twong »

We just started using an RTC360 and importing the data into Register360 is very, very slow. Today's project was 15 scans (high density with HDR on, VIS linking was on). I just updated the scanner to 2.0.1 and Register360 to 1.6.1 yesterday. The 15 scans were only 18GB (I think they added compression)

After creating the project in Reg360, making sure the VIS alignment was good, I hit import and it took over an hour to import. I tested this again by updating everything I could think of (video car drivers, motherboard BIOS, Win10, etc.) and checked the GPU usage while importing, and the GPU usage was 0%.

Isn't Register360 designed to use the GPU during import? It's an Nvidia 1080 with a Intel - Core i7-6700K and 32GB RAM and the data is on a hybrid HDD. Importing from our old P30 (general without images) only took a few minutes.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Register 360 not using Nvidia GPU during import of RTC360

Post by smacl »

Not sure if it is the issue but hybrid drives can be very slow once file sizes exceed the fast memory buffer. If you've a slot available, I'd try sticking a 1TB SSD or NVME in there.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Tookie »

Image compression is an option in the menus of the RTC360 you need to tick it to activate it.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by geomontgomery »

twong wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:55 pm Isn't Register360 designed to use the GPU during import? It's an Nvidia 1080 with a Intel - Core i7-6700K and 32GB RAM and the data is on a hybrid HDD. Importing from our old P30 (general without images) only took a few minutes.
Hey Terence, I don't believe it uses GPU on import, only CPU. (Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong). My system config is very similar to yours and I don't see any GPU activity when importing. High single core clock speed, more cores, and more available ram up to 64GB would seem to make more of a difference in your case. You may be able to socket a 9700k with your configuration which may help import speed: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 3502vs4030

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”