Register 360 with Faro scans

Discuss all Cyclone related issues here.
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Register 360 with Faro scans

Post by SteveBury » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

I recently ran a quick test on Register 360 using Faro fls files. Being keen to ditch SCENE (which has failed to progress at all in the more than 6 years we've been using it), I had high hopes for Register 360. Unfortunately it seemed to fall very short of expectations when trying to use it with Faro data. When I dragged and dropped 8 scans in most of them just disappeared, leaving just 2 which the software identified some (very inadequate) links between - the missing scans were nowhere to be found. I tried opening several new projects - the same thing happened each time. I then converted the files to E57, which did all come in, but again just one or two very poor links were identified between just two scans. The other scans had no links at all.
I tried using the alignment tools to place my scans in the right position but still no links were identified.

The scans were of a church with a tall spire. I could rotate the scans around the z-axis and I could move them up or down with the Register 360
alignment tool, but it doesn't seem possible to tilt the scans at all. It looked very much as if Register 360 ignores the Faro inclinometer reading so despite everything being aligned in a plan view, in 3D I had 8 spires criss-crossing each other. Maybe it was because the spire could not be aligned in any way that I couldn't get the cloud to cloud registration to work at all.

Can someone tell me why the identification of links in Faro data doesn't appear to work, if Register 360 recognises the Faro inclinometer, is there a bug that's causing Faro scans to be lost on import and can scans be tilted to align them properly?

Thanks

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems UK Limited
Company Position Title: EMEA Business Manager HDS
Skype Name: pburrows145

Re: Register 360 with Faro scans

Post by pburrows145 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm

HI Steve,

Please ensure you have logged these issues with local UK technical support. They can then be escalated as quickly as possible.

I have not seen the issue you mention regarding scans not being shown in the scan panel before.

Are you using any targets in these scans at all? Black & white for example? Are these scans + images, or scan-only?

Thanks,
Paul

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems UK Limited
Company Position Title: EMEA Business Manager HDS
Skype Name: pburrows145

Post by pburrows145 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Further to this I have spoken with the PM for REGISTER 360 and we would like the files as we have not seen this issue our side, and we have tested a lot of FARO data in REGISTER 360.

Please drop me a line to arrange a copy of the relevant data - if this is something which would benefit you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director

Post by SteveBury » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Paul

I was playing with trial copy of Register 360 when I was last over in the States - I was using some data that my colleagues over there had captured. I don't have a copy of those scans with me but I'll have a word with them and try and get it across to you in the next few days.

Do you know the answers to any of my questions btw? It'll be useful to know some answers before I look further into whether or not using Register 360 would benefit us.

Return to “Leica Cyclone”