Urgent: help needed on registration plus rcp

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
naveenvarma
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Naveen
Company Details: AROWANA SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
Company Position Title: Delivery Head
Skype Name: naveen.arowana
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Urgent: help needed on registration plus rcp

Post by naveenvarma »

Hi

I have been supplied with rcs files linked in Revit. I wanted to model some objects in cyclone to inplace them in revit. I have converted rcp to pts and imported in cyclone. Now I noticed the coordinates in Revit and cyclone are not matching. Scaling is ok. It seems the client has transformed the point cloud in revit. So I do not have the transformer values.

Now what I did is, I measured some values on the point clouds in Revit and used the same points in cyclone and registered the data. Now the data was perfectly aligned. Now the problem is when I model a object in cyclone and inserted Revit, the location was still not matching.
Can anyone tell me what would be problem?
If not please tell me how can I do this process more easily?

Thank you
JoshK
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Josh K
Company Details: Complete 3D Concepts
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Urgent: help needed on registration plus rcp

Post by JoshK »

Before i get going i have no real experience with Revit and while i know Recap well i don't mess with the origin in it as i know it causes issues like this when sharing data. I do know AutoCAD and inventor inside out and my understanding is that they work with point clouds the same way. So i am just going to kick some ideas around with you if you don't mind so we might be able to both work out what is happening here (if you haven't already).

just to be clear here, you were given RCS fileS (multiple) and not an RCP file? then you created an RCP file imported the RCS files and then exported a PTS from your new RCP?

if this is the case, there are a few places this could go pear shaped.

the first thing is to understand the difference between the files. the RCS files should be thought of like any other scan file, PTX, E57, etc. they do hold origin information, but from what i have seen it is usually the origin of the original registration of the point cloud. the one done in cyclone, scene etc. as far as i know there is no way to change this, that i have come across yet. The RCP should be thought of like a DWG or Assembly file, where it references the RCS point cloud files like Xrefs of Part files/other assemblies. In the case where you import anything other than a RCS file, recap converts that file into RCS file(s) first and then opens the RCP referencing the new RCS file(s).

first thing i would suggest is to make sure you are running the most current version of Recap. it changes a lot and doesn't always update through the desktop app manager. so go here http://www.autodesk.com/products/recap-360/free-trial and download the new version to be sure. you will have to uninstall the old version but i think it does that for you during installation now. (?)

unless you have the pro version, the process of importing the RCS files shouldn't change the origin from the original registrations origin. if you have the pro version and you have gone through the registration process again, where you have to pick 3 corresponding points in each scan when importing the RCS files, the origin should stay the same. If you have done the registration again it will change the origin to one of the other scan locations in the RCP, so your cyclone data will be out by a long way to your Revit model, not just lower/higher etc. it will likely not even look like it is from the same point cloud depending on the size of the job. this happened to me once a while back without even thinking about/realising what i did because it was a 4 scan job, i just didn't think and didn't realise until i dropped the data off to my client and the cyclone exports didn't fit. :oops:

If you haven't inadvertently redone the registration and they attached the RCS that they sent you to their Revit file, the origins should be the same in the Revit model and the RCP file. the olny option here would be that they have offset/rotated the point cloud in Revit realitive to the Revit model origin. In Inventor you can see if that is the case in a dialog box, but you can't in AutoCAD that i know of, so i am not sure if it will be possible to work this out in the Revit model. The only way i can think of to work this out if Revit doesn't tell you, would be to attach your RCP to the revit model and see if it lines up to the model/RCS file when inserted at the origin of your Revit model.

The only other issue i can think of is that who ever you got the RCS files from have changed the origin in the original RCP file and then exported it as one or more RCS files to give to you. So far with my messing around, i have found that Recap doesn't export the changed origin to the new RCS files if the origin was changed in Recap. So this means if they have updated the origin in their RCP, then attached that RCP to their Revit model and worked with that, they will be working on a different origin in their files to the RCS they sent you.

a way to test where things have gone wrong would be to create a new Revit file and attach the RCS they sent you at the origin of the Revit file, then attach the RCP you created in that same file at the origin. this will tell you if the point cloud you are work with match. then bring the cyclone parts into Revit and see if they line up. if all three are the same, the issue is something they have done before sending things to you. If not you should be able to see where things went wrong.

hope this helps, but if you have already worked this out, would you mind sharing what happened?

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”