Why can't you unify a scan before publishing LGS?

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 related issues here.
quags91
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Eamon Q
Company Details: PDA Surveyors
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Why can't you unify a scan before publishing LGS?

Post by quags91 »

Hi guys

I found an older post which details you can't unify a scan prior to publishing to an LGS file.
The post is here: viewtopic.php?t=15605

I was hoping someone could explain further why this is not possible. It seems ridiculous Leica would produce software (Cyclone) that has a major limitation that stops the workflow from moving to another piece of its software (JetStream).

What I mean by this is our company cleans the point cloud data quite comprehensively prior to providing data to the client (i.e. window noise, flare, people, scan returns on window panes all removed). We clean the data and then quite often publish a very clean LGS file.

The issue is with the cleaning of the scan data. As the fence and masks increase the program slows down horrendously (I'm talking 200GB+ projects). The only answer to this seems to be to unify the model. However, doesn't seem I can unify a model and then still be able to publish an LGS file. These is just absurd in my view.

Surely we're not the only ones doing this. Is there any other work arounds people have found?

Thanks in advance,
Eamon
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Re: Why can't you unify a scan before publishing LGS?

Post by gsisman »

quags91 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 am Hi guys

I found an older post which details you can't unify a scan prior to publishing to an LGS file.

I was hoping someone could explain further why this is not possible. It seems ridiculous Leica would produce software (Cyclone) that has a major limitation that stops the workflow from moving to another piece of its software (JetStream).
.................... However, doesn't seem I can unify a model and then still be able to publish an LGS file. These is just absurd in my view.

Surely we're not the only ones doing this. Is there any other work arounds people have found?

Thanks in advance,
Eamon
Eamon

I think you can export a unified scan from Cyclone. We have tested combining Mobile Lidar (Which is one unified cloud) and Aerial Lidar panels (Also unified) and even overlaid with a Set-up static scan at the same intersection .We do a lot of road corridor and intersection scans. Below is an example of a "Three layer" LGS file
You can NOT export a unified LGS from REG 360 at this time. (Actually you can not import a unified scan into Reg 360 unless it is coming from a BLK2GO RAW or backed up data)

https://www.screencast.com/t/UlmZobSK
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

LGS is a unified cloud - it is NOT decimated (read: reduced) - unless you choose to perform this step at export.

For Cyclone - this has been in the SW since day 0 (UNIFY) - which is done "before export".

For Reg360, this was in since 2021.0.0 (Decimation) - which is done "at the point of export".

Hope this helps!
badam
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

quags91 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 am Hi guys

What I mean by this is our company cleans the point cloud data quite comprehensively prior to providing data to the client (i.e. window noise, flare, people, scan returns on window panes all removed). We clean the data and then quite often publish a very clean LGS file.

The issue is with the cleaning of the scan data. As the fence and masks increase the program slows down horrendously (I'm talking 200GB+ projects). The only answer to this seems to be to unify the model. However, doesn't seem I can unify a model and then still be able to publish an LGS file. These is just absurd in my view.

Thanks in advance,
Eamon

Hello Eamon!

we use register 360 2020.1 after yesterday releas the 2021.1.1 still not usable for us in daily use....(performance degradation especially in trueslicer, rendering issues,etc...)
we cleans the pontclouds as well especially points through windows/reflective features. unnecessary environment elements. But we usually don't touch peoples because that is take so much more time... Our biggest project is ~700gb, 2003 setup

We just don't use lgs and problem solved there are similar viewers on the market which sometimes are built on potree. but we built a version for ourself, which has 360 imagery trueslicer functions and etc...

you can merge anything elsewhere and from register360 we just export cleaned structured setups.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”