Cyclone 9.1.6 Auto-Registration Issues

Discuss all Cyclone related issues here.
strongarmj78
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James
Company Details: McAdams Company
Company Position Title: Senior Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone 9.1.6 Auto-Registration Issues

Post by strongarmj78 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 am

I am having an issue with the auto-registration feature in cyclone. Our field crews occupied known control and back sighted known control for all 37 scan positions in the project and uploaded the coordinates for each of the control points. However when the auto-registration is complete the elevations do not match the ground elevations. Further inspection indicates that the average deviation is about 5.07 feet. At first, I thought that the crew did not input height of instrument and target heights correctly. An examination of each scan control space indicated that all of the information was correct. Here are some screen shots to show what I am looking at. If anyone can help me with a solution it would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have encountered this issue in 10 years of scanning and I am stumped. Hopefully it is something simple. I have a pending deadline and I am trying to make progress while I wait for help from support. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Cyclone 9.1.6 Auto-Registration Issues

Post by steves01x » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

I may be completely wrong and misread but if each scanner set up had its XYZ entered in the field with the back site - do you not only need to add all the scanworlds to the registration then hit register / freeze? No automatic process should be required as each scan world has its position?

*although probably not linked to your issue, i have know Cyclone not display the registration correctly if using view temp model space option / hit register/freeze then open new model space and its as it should be!

strongarmj78
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James
Company Details: McAdams Company
Company Position Title: Senior Project Manager

Post by strongarmj78 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

The auto-registration occurs on import when processing the raw scan data. In looking at the control space for each position I have noticed that the Scanner position does not have a vertex number simply has Scanner and the height in meters. The back sight target is at the target face and not ground with rod height in the annotation for the point. I think I can create a dummy vertex at the scanner at the scanner head elevation for each setup and then raise all ground control points to target face elevation and register. The reason I feel that this is the solution is that I am not seeing 5.07 vertical difference when I look at my check points. It varies 2-5 inches which to me indicates that the scanner position is part of the issue and not just target elevation. Looks like I'm going back to my ScanStation days.

Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Are you viewing the interim results? If so it does show all the vertex used. These will be merged into one in the final modelspace.

Return to “Leica Cyclone”