I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Dante Abate
Company Details: ENEA
Company Position Title: Researcher
Linkedin Profile: No

Surphaser

Post by dante.abate »

Hi all

I started using the surphaser LS since a while...after a long experience with the leica devices.
I have a, maybe, silly question.
Setting up the scanner, the first thing i have noticed is that there is no level on the scanner.
Isnt it needed? Without it the data will be acquired correctly?
If the level is not needed, which is the principle which allows to acquire correct data?
The model im using is a dated one 25hsx.

Thanks for any replies and clarifications.
r_oliveira
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Ricardo Oliveira
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Head of Digital Engineering

Re: Surphaser

Post by r_oliveira »

There is no tilt sensor or compensator so any issues resulting from unstable setups will not be identified or corrected. In fact, all scanners that have these can be used while it is off.
You will need an additional constraint to register the scans
thodgson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Thomas Hodgson
Company Details: AMRC with Boeing [Uni of Sheffield]
Company Position Title: Metrology Engineer

Post by thodgson »

Hi Dante,

It is not a requirement for the Surphaser to be leveled prior to operation. It is possible to have the scanner set up at quite a steep angle and it will still capture data however I'm not sure whether this will affect the accuracy - I presume it will somehow but we've never done any tests to find out.

During 'normal' operation, the scanner being off-level doesn't really cause much of an issue. However with leveled scanners, such as a Leica P20, the Z direction is always 'up' meaning only 2 common targets are required between scans to lock every degree of freedom. Without this constraint on Z, the minimum number of common targets required is 3. In practice this is likely not going to affect your process as I hope you would have some redundancy by using extra targets.

Having said that, we generally do level our Surphaser using a tribrach as it gives consistency across scans and can make registration a little easier if we have trouble with some of the targets.

Cheers,

Tom
TMillington
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tony Millington
Company Details: ISIS Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Company Position Title: Survey section leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TMillington »

Hi Dante

We have used our Surphaser (Trimble FX) at all sorts of odd angles, with no impact on the accuracy.
As far as I'm aware (and I have seen/heard of other users doing so) it can be used inverted - we've just not had the necessity (or perhaps the courage) to do so yet.

As the other replies have pointed out, the main implication of not being able to level the scanner is that you will need a robust external control network to register scans to gravity/vertical.

Regards

Tony
dante.abate
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Dante Abate
Company Details: ENEA
Company Position Title: Researcher

Post by dante.abate »

Thanks a lot guys
your replies really help.
We are working with the LS coupled with e total station, so the network for the registration should be strong enough.

Best
Dante

Return to “Surphaser”