I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brett McCarrier
Company Details: MacB
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Surphexpress and Targets

Post by BLM613 »

Hello everyone,
I've got a question in regards using my Surphaser 100 HSX and Surphexpress software to identify spherical targets. While performing a scan I would like to have targets situated around the object I'm scanning to make point cloud conversions easier using xor and geomagic software. I see there is a target reference tab but I'm unsure how to go about identifying the targets in each scan. Should I perform a preview scan each time, highlighting each target then performing the more detailed scan? Is there a better method to perform this scan because the preview scan idea does not seem to work out how I wish it would. If anyone has any recommended methods to performing a scan while using spherical targets I would appreciate your feedback! Thank you...
Stephen.Strand
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stephen Strand
Company Details: Self-Employed
Company Position Title: Seeking Scanning Opportunities
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Surphexpress and Targets

Post by Stephen.Strand »

Just run through the scan normally (either preview, sector, or full volume), then you have to "pick" the targets from the target tab after the scan has been processed. Sometimes, based on what size spheres you are using, you really have to hone in your search settings, or you will get no targets, or a ton of false positives. You could just use the ProcessC3DShell program too, much faster that way. We typically use the plate targets, and then export the targets file for each scan as a .txt file, then export each scan file as .ptx, then use third party software to align.

Hope this helps!

-Stephen
adrian.haarbach
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Adrian Haarbach
Company Details: Siemens
Company Position Title: Research Scientist

Post by adrian.haarbach »

What third party software do you use to align the scans using the extracted marker's txt files?
Martinb9
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Martin Berryman
Company Details: Wanes Custom Woodworks
Company Position Title: Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Martinb9 »

As noted, ProcessCD3Shell (from Basis - the parent company behind Surphaser) is the most automatic way to find targets and align scans. Contact the vendor you bought the scanner from for help. In rough terms, you create a marker file for your anchor / base scan, then align all of the other scans to that scan. Once aligned, filter and sample the data in Geomagic Design X, then import the filtered and sampled results into Design X, combine the scans, and align them interactively using the on-board level sensor to create your primary plane. I don;t want to sound like their advertyising rep, but the team at Rapid3D in Calgary, Alberta in Canada can provide training on the Surphaser and related software, as well as all of the Geomagic products. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Stephen.Strand wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm Just run through the scan normally (either preview, sector, or full volume), then you have to "pick" the targets from the target tab after the scan has been processed. Sometimes, based on what size spheres you are using, you really have to hone in your search settings, or you will get no targets, or a ton of false positives. You could just use the ProcessC3DShell program too, much faster that way. We typically use the plate targets, and then export the targets file for each scan as a .txt file, then export each scan file as .ptx, then use third party software to align.

Hope this helps!

-Stephen
Why don't you use ProcessC3Dshell instead of exporting to a third-party software?

Return to “Surphaser”