V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andy Evans
Company Details: Topcon
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Mass Data
Linkedin Profile: Yes

What's special about the GLS-1000?

Post by andyevans »

Something we call Precise Scan Technology. I'm sure most of you will be upto speed with all the latest info, but for those who missed it first time round I thought I would post up this press-release that was issued not long before InterGeo 2008.

Source: http://www.pobonline.com/Articles/Indus ... 0000411808

LIVERMORE, Calif. – August 29, 2008 – Topcon Corporation of Tokyo has announced the acquisition of Voxis, Inc., a United States-based company acknowledged as a global leader in laser scanner technology and high resolution motion systems.

The acquisition of Voxis of Point Richmond, California, culminates a development relationship with Topcon of more than two years, which resulted in the recent announcement of the company’s GLS-1000 laser scanner.

Topcon developed Precise Scan Technology for the GLS-1000. The new technology not only uses “time of flight” measurement but also combines the innovative phase-based analysis technology, which results in unparalleled stable and precision accuracy measurement. The technological innovation also allows measurement over a wide area (up to 150 meters).

Norio (Nick) Uchida, General Manager of Topcon Corporation’s Positioning Business Unit, said, “The Voxis agreement will strengthen the extremely positive working relationship we have had with the company for the past three years. Jerry Dimsdale (president) and Joe West (vice president of engineering) have assembled a great team of research and development engineers.

“Combining the resources of Voxis with the expertise and experience of Topcon’s global engineering teams will enhance Topcon’s position in the marketplace,” Uchida said.

“The expertise of the Voxis team and its innovative laser scanning technology is a perfect combination for Topcon. Joining forces with Voxis is the right move with the right company at the right time. It’s an agreement that maximizes the strengths of both companies,” he said.

About Voxis joining Topcon, Dimsdale said, “For more than two years our engineers have been working with Topcon to develop an exciting new laser scanner – Topcon’s GLS-1000. The technology developed by our engineers perfectly meshes with Topcon’s goal to provide the best precise positioning systems in the marketplace.

“The working relationship between our engineering team (which has more than 180 years in engineering experience) and the Topcon design teams could not have been better.”

Dimsdale said, “Our company’s focus is in industrial and commercial metrology (measurement) and control in a wide range of applications. We have focused a lot of our efforts into developing and improving laser scanning technology.

“Combining the two companies will only enhance the ability to work together in discovering the next generation of laser scanning and motion sensor technologies,” he said. “There are massive changes coming in what we call ‘reality capture’ and we’re proud and excited to be a part of this technological revolution by assisting in accelerating Topcon’s product line.”
Matthias
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Matthias Koksch
Company Details: kubit www.kubit-software.com
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: What's special about the GLS-1000?

Post by Matthias »

Andy,
Topcon developed Precise Scan Technology for the GLS-1000. The new technology not only uses “time of flight” measurement but also combines the innovative phase-based analysis technology, which results in unparalleled stable and precision accuracy measurement. The technological innovation also allows measurement over a wide area (up to 150 meters).
Are you or someone other able to explain this besides the marketing words so that a non-hardware guy like I can understand where the advantages for a user are to found.

Matthias
andyevans
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andy Evans
Company Details: Topcon
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Mass Data
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: What's special about the GLS-1000?

Post by andyevans »

Matthias wrote:Andy,

Are you or someone other able to explain this besides the marketing words so that a non-hardware guy like I can understand where the advantages for a user are to found.

Matthias
Apologies Matthias,

I only just spotted your response to this.

So. Break it down like this. I'm talking concept still rather than true technicality, forgive me if this is still too markety ;)

Pulse = Minute hand on a clock
Phase = second hand on a clock

Combine the two for better range measurement.

RESULT = Cleaner Data (less variation) which leads to --> Better Texture Representation --> More information, and quicker, more clearly.

We also find improved returns from surfaces at "long ranges" = more complete coverage of the object.

Hope that makes sense.

Take a look at the sample data at 3dmaster.org to see what I mean.

Return to “Press Releases”