Can't save rendered image - Pointools x64 Beta1

Discuss all Bentley Pointools related issues here.
dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel McCurdy
Company Details: Geometria Ltd.
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Can't save rendered image - Pointools x64 Beta1

Post by dan_mccurdy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm having real problems with the new Pointools x64 Beta 1, the most serious of which is that I cannot render a movie from it. When I try to render (as frames), it seems to render the first frame and then locks up trying to "save image", and never actually creates the frame. I have tried running as administrator in case it's a rights issue but it's not. It doesn't matter where I try to save the images, it always gets stuck on "saving frame".

If I load the same project in the 32bit version then it saves fine, but crashes all the time, as the 32 bit version is wont to do.

I received an invite to the Bentley discussion group but it doesn't seem to let me in anymore so I've given up trying to go through the official channels.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it ?

There are plenty of similar problems (such as the beta version doesn't actually save projects properly) and I am aware it's in Beta, so I'm prepared to live with it for now since it seems a bit more stable than the 32bit version (only slightly - it doesn't really seem to use the extra memory very well). Although the editing stack seems to have gone backwards in this release (much less stable), at least the edited POD export is faster.
Dan McCurdy
Geometria Heritage Management
http://geometria.co.nz/

Paul Davidson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paul
Company Details: National Park Service
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Can't save rendered image - Pointools x64 Beta1

Post by Paul Davidson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 pm

I wish I had the solution. I too have been working with the Beta for a few months now and while I am impressed that it can access considerably more RAM (up to 22GB in one project), it is full of bugs. It has the old ones that have plagued Pointools for years and now they have added a few more.

I too cannot get still images out of Pointools Beta whether they are part of an animation or not. I do see that I now have access to more codecs that are installed on my system like x264 but when I render directly to .AVI it pauses at the beginning of an animation.

I have no access to the Bentley forum to post my user experience. It took them more than a week just to get my login straightened out. Unfortunately, it is still the best rendering software for point clouds we have right now.

Paul Davidson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Paul Davidson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:04 pm

I did forget to mention my work around for this, which has been to set everything up in the beta version and then open the .ptl in the old 32 bit version. If I set the "memory usage" to 0.01 and enable disk cache to 50gb it renders the stills no problem. Obviously this will take longer than using RAM. I just finished rendering a 1.7 billion point cloud with this method.

Alternatively, you can render stills that aren't anti-aliased out of the 64 bit beta.

Paul Davidson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Paul Davidson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:25 pm

I finally got it to work. Although I tried a few things at once. I ran the program as admin. I set the output to the C drive no sub folders, i gave the image files a simple name of a single character and it started rendering anti-aliased stills. I am not sure what the problem is but since most of my workflow in Pointools is working around the bugs and limitations, I am not surprised. I hope this helps.

Pieclops
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Unlisted
Company Position Title: Unlisted

Post by Pieclops » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Good to see you got it working - I tried Pointools x64 (with a 3bn+ point project) and had the same issue with rendering animation as stills (though great success doing 10k+ resolution single stills). Without trying to adjust any under-the-bonnet parameters I managed to compromise by rendering to 1080p AVI in ~800 frame segments (over frame count caused weird issues and wrote off the AVI). So quality was good and antialiased but just had to handle it different compiling the frames afterwards.

DanCutler
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dan Cutler
Company Details: Bentley Systems
Company Position Title: Application Engineer
Skype Name: dan_pointools

Post by DanCutler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:08 pm

This is a known issue, it is a beta
if you use the anti-aliased renderer, and 'output image file' only (not 'output video') it will hang and not create any images.
however, if you check the 'output video' box as well it will work
but you want the images and not the AVI, so just set the codec to xvid, and set that to the lowest quality so you get a small AVI (which you can delete) and a set of images to compile.

Return to “Bentley Pointools”