Clement
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Clement Rabot
Company Details: PANGEO
Company Position Title: Intern

Re: Pointools Plugins are going to be discontinued

Post by Clement »

Has anyone got this error message on Rhino v5 32bits? I'm stuck with this problem. Knowing that there won't be any support, it would be a bit reassuring to see that it really works on v5 as a lot of people said.
jon
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jon Moe
Company Details: Goltens Green Technologies
Company Position Title: project engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jon »

As far as I know the plugin will not work with the last version of Rhino v5. It is a known problem where you are not able to open .pod files.

(There are some rumors about some attempts to get the plugin up and running with v5 64b, but as far as I know nothing is definite yet. I am just crossing my fingers while using Rhino v4 here.)
Clement
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Clement Rabot
Company Details: PANGEO
Company Position Title: Intern

Post by Clement »

Thanks for the answer. I'm also using Rhino v4 and Pointools4Rhino, as I've been able to buy either Rhino v4 and v5. So I hope that one day it will work with v5 32 or 64 bits, to benefit from all the new great features of v5. I guess we're not alone.
Maybe, you'll be able to help me on one little thing. When I open Rhino, the Pointools toolbars are always put at the same place (and in this case, it's a bad place). I move them to clean up a bit, then save the toolbar in Rhino Toolbar configuration. But it always gets into the same place. I have another Plugin with toolbars that stay where I put them. So I don't understand what is wrong. Maybe, you faced the same issue
jon
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Jon Moe
Company Details: Goltens Green Technologies
Company Position Title: project engineer

Post by jon »

The toolbars that jump around is as far as I know a bug that you just have to live with. It is annoying, but I don't think that it will be fixed any time soon.
nickherath
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Nick Herath
Company Details: Veris
Company Position Title: Principal

Post by nickherath »

I've been using Pointools with Rhino v5 32bit for the last year or two. Unsure as to why others have failed to get it working but I suppose PT4Rhino has always been a bit fickle plugin with many unexplained bugs.
The new features in v5 double our productivity. The gizmo is an absolute godsend.
Obviously the plugin will not work with v5 64 bit but very rarely do we run into memory issues running the 32bit version.
Martin, agree with you it's a bit rich Bentley charging full whack for a product they are discontinuing.
masimo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Maxim
Company Details: PromGeo - Industrial Geodesy
Company Position Title: 3d scanning engineer
Skype Name: massimo_XX

Post by masimo »

I had a chance to try new Bentley Descartes V8i Beta-version a bit which is going to be offered as an alternative for Rhino + Pointools Plugin.
OMG it's an absolutely different concept, not like Rhino - 'just install and work'.
It's probably like simplified Microstation with its complicated interface, not really user friendly. I spent plenty of hours just to understand how basic functions/navigation work. Also didn't find too many point cloud shading/displaying settings with we could find in any pointools legacy products.
I think Bentley will not find many new customers with this product, also there's no way that existing Rhino users will follow it.
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat »

Firstly,
If you have tried any beta software from any manufacturer then I am sure they would not be happy with it being discussed outside of their intended beta forum.

I spent 10 years using AutoCAD as my main CAD tool, with a bit of Microstation for certain clients. I dabbled in Rhino 3/4 a long time ago when AutoCAD could not gernerate the geometry required.

I've now been using Microstation as my main CAD tool for around 5 years. For the complex, uneven gemetry that we so often have to make form point clouds, I find it much better than AutoCAD - I am sure AutoCAD has improved a lot since I last used version 2009.

It is widely accepted that moving from AutoCAD>Microstation is much harder than the other way around.
As Rhino "feels" and operates in a similar way to AutoCAD I would imagine that the very different mind set needed for Microstation is similar in it's not just a product you can pick up and fumble your way around very easily.

If you want to change the way a point cloud is displayed in Microstation (and Descartes) press Ctrl+B to bring up the view attributes panel.
At the bottom of this is where you control the appearance of the point cloud. I have always found this to be nice and easy to control and get the appearance of the cloud I want.
Is there any specific problem you are having with finding a solution to in Microstation?
Joohansson
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: David Mattiasson
Company Details: ATS AB
Company Position Title: Solution Manager

Post by Joohansson »

PT4Rhino works in Rhino V5 32-bit (some crashes though). Toolbars are a bit different though and to get a more convenient setup I created my own toolbar which include all PT4Rhino buttons together in one tab (instead of 5 different tabs).

Feel free to download and use that toolbar:
http://db.tt/gGxFLdhF
Last edited by Joohansson on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joohansson
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: David Mattiasson
Company Details: ATS AB
Company Position Title: Solution Manager

Post by Joohansson »

PT4Rhino causing Rhino v5 to crash a lot (editing layers, render options, block manager etc.). Disabling PT4Rhino plug-in will solve that. Really sad that there will be no more updates! Rhino v5 is without question the best modeling software I have ever used.

Return to “Pointools”