I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ahmad Rahimi
Company Details: GeoSpec
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Mix & Match Hardware & Software

Post by ard »

We are a small surveying setup with very little experience in Laser Scanning & have a potential scanning job coming up.
We had some experiences with Leica 3DR software and would like to use that as our main software to generate the required output & reporting. The scanner itself would be rented and we have either Trimble or Faro scanner offered at a reasonable rental rate.

The question is, would there be any problem or complication in getting the raw data from either Trimble or Faro to go straight into Cyclone 3DR? We want to avoid spending time in learning either Trimble or Faro scanning software suite if we can help it. TIA
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Re: Mix & Match Hardware & Software

Post by VXGrid »

ard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 am We are a small surveying setup with very little experience in Laser Scanning & have a potential scanning job coming up.
We had some experiences with Leica 3DR software and would like to use that as our main software to generate the required output & reporting. The scanner itself would be rented and we have either Trimble or Faro scanner offered at a reasonable rental rate.

The question is, would there be any problem or complication in getting the raw data from either Trimble or Faro to go straight into Cyclone 3DR? We want to avoid spending time in learning either Trimble or Faro scanning software suite if we can help it. TIA
This is hard to answer. So to my knowledge this should be the current possibilities:
FARO raw scan files can get imported into 3DR, unless it is the new Focus Premium scanner, but it is possible that colour can't get read.
Trimble raw scans can't get imported.

If you have the software to the scanner and you can export an E57, then it should be possible to use either scanner.
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech

Post by Justin Richards »

With the Faro Premium, you might have to bring scans in to Scene LT to export them as E57
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

VXGrid wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am
ard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 am We are a small surveying setup with very little experience in Laser Scanning & have a potential scanning job coming up.

This is hard to answer. So to my knowledge this should be the current possibilities:
FARO raw scan files can get imported into 3DR, unless it is the new Focus Premium scanner, but it is possible that colour can't get read.
Trimble raw scans can't get imported.

If you have the software to the scanner and you can export an E57, then it should be possible to use either scanner.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but 3DR as far as I know ISN'T a registration software. The RAW scans would need to be registered together somehow outside of 3DR before ingesting into 3DR. We need to look at 3DR closer since all the old Cyclone Core processes are slowly being integrated and updated into Register 360 and 3DR
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

I use FARO X330 and S350 scanners and processes/registration in FARO's SCENE software. The rental scanner should come with the software for the instrument for a short time.

I own 3DRESHAPER program and I export from SCENE to e57 files which I import to 3DR. Color comes thru fine if you scan in color. Color on the FARO scanner can take longer than the scan! I added a 360° camea on top that takes 2 seconds to color the scans. If you need color ask about including the 360° top mounted camera.
3DR does not process or register raw scans.

How do you plan to register the scans and what are you scanning?
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

Return to “General Chat”