V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO ACQUIRES GEOSLAM

Post by dhirota »

FARO-GEOSLAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: FARO ACQUIRES GEOSLAM

Post by bdawood »

I got the email, I am looking forward for something good quality SLAM and Faro. Hopefully soon
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Let's hope they don't treat Geoslam as they did with "Kubit Software" back in the days when they had an excellent product Pointsense suite and let Faro completely ruin it with their non existent customer support and dissapearance of Virtusurv.

Wasn't fond of Geoslam with their bad data quality so i think Navvis is already miles ahead with mobile.

EDIT : users of the swift are f*cked to imho. This will become obsolete very soon.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
msvensen
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Mattias Svensen
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Senior Account Manager FARO Scandinavia

Post by msvensen »

Very exciting news!! We welcome GeoSLAM to the FARO family.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:48 am Wasn't fond of Geoslam with their bad data quality so i think Navvis is already miles ahead with mobile.
With what we've seen from trialling Emesent Hovermap, and owning/using a VLX, they've certainly got some catching up to do.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

sim.herrod wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:43 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:48 am Wasn't fond of Geoslam with their bad data quality so i think Navvis is already miles ahead with mobile.
With what we've seen from trialling Emesent Hovermap, and owning/using a VLX, they've certainly got some catching up to do.
Working with some client topo data collected with NavVis over the last few weeks and it is excellent, far better than anything I've seen from other SLAM devices. Not ideal for tall surveyors in tight spaces, but great outside of that.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I was not impressed about the merge, I can only think they have so much work to do to catch ahead and I fear the faro support will just be horrible as usual. NavVis will be way ahead just for its custumer support. Faro communication and community support is so poor. We would move to trimble or leica scanner only based on the poor response we get from Faro. They deliver however the best scanner format for what we need and that is what is keeping us with them.
However faro support is so poor that it is ground for consideration.
Navvis support is amazing and that only makes them miles ahead of Faro. Even if faro had a better slam solution they will be behind Navvis only based on their customer support.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service

Post by Scott »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:06 pm They deliver however the best scanner format for what we need and that is what is keeping us with them.
However faro support is so poor that it is ground for consideration.
Navvis support is amazing and that only makes them miles ahead of Faro. Even if faro had a better slam solution they will be behind Navvis only based on their customer support.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

Faro has acquired several companies over the last few years. Most of those have been software companies. None of the acquisitions were products that we used either pre or post acquisition, but I'm curious how happy any of you who were using any of them have been with the transition? Did development change for either better or worse? What about software support?

I've never been impressed by either the development pace or the support Faro provides for their internally developed software so I'm wondering if the external teams they've acquired have been allowed to do their own thing and keep innovating or if acquisition tends to make them behave more like Faro's internal teams. SLAM seems like mostly a software problem rather than a hardware problem so I'm wondering how well a product like Geoslam will do at a company like Faro that seems to be mostly "hardware first".
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

SLAM seems like mostly a software problem rather than a hardware problem so I'm wondering how well a product like Geoslam will do at a company like Faro that seems to be mostly "hardware first".
In an optimistic point of view, perhaps that is why they acquired GEOSLAM?

The SurphSlam system I wrote about a million years ago, was quite simply amazing in terms of data quality and robustness and flow of mapping. It was a GEOSLAM/CSIRO+Surphaser development, so I don't know how much will translate to Faro. Even today I feel like a SurpSlam would still be a killer device for many types of work. I never got the chance to use the Faro Swift or the newer NavVis system, but I did find the GEOSLAM Revo to be one of the most liberating scanning experiences ever. It was like going on a fun hike, but with a scanner that wasn't boring to use. Did not like the first NavVis system at all with all the stopping to take pictures, but don't know if that has changed with new the system because I have not kept up with it.

I am interested to see what kind of hardware and software will come of this, but also if the cultural mix corrects some of the noted deficiencies.

Reference:
viewtopic.php?t=10253

Return to “General Chat”