I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: manak lal jain
Company Details: SGSITS Indore
Company Position Title: Professor
Skype Name: mlj_india
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Looking for new scanner

Post by mljain »

I am Dr. M. L. Jain, Professor at Shri G.S.Institute of Technology & Science Indore, (SGSITS Indore), INDIA. I am looking for a new 3D scanner for my Reverse engineering Laboratory & will mostly use for students experiments & academic purpose. We have limited fund. I am preffering the scanner that (1) Does not need land marks (marker / target), (2) easy callibration with ourself & need not to send outside for caliberations (3) It should have low weight, (4) Auto registration of multiple shots etc.
my contacts Cell: 9827007067, email:[email protected]
Interested people can post their offer by giving all possible options along with their information Brochers.
Thanks in advance
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Looking for new scanner

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi,
What size objects are you wanting to scan?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
mljain
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by mljain »

Thanks dear Jason for your interest, trust every thing is well at your end.
Greeting from India.
OK as I said, I basically need it for students RE experiments in my Laboratory, some time students are playing with magic clay in their experiments & want to digitize it, hence good if it can digitize small pieces (having volume 2 cm * 2 cm * 2 cm =8 Cubic cm), but it is not always true. Some time we also receive short components from nearby Industries for digitization (PCD), in that case they need accuracy & precesion. Hope it help.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

How accurate does it need to be?

I have a feeling a simple photogrammetry approach would work, see if there are any full frame 20mpx+ camera available to you and you can have easy to use and affordable softwares for photogrammetry. I think pix4d is affordable considering all other expenses are cut down.

As for ''scalling'' just leave 2 marks near the model that you measure with a ruller and use those as a benchmark.

One of the moderators here is very good with photogrammetry small sized model and he has some very good videos on it (3DForrensics). Surely other have good inputs for photogrammetry approach as well.
ScottErnst
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Southwest Scanning
Company Position Title: owner

Post by ScottErnst »

That is an excellent suggestion. You can create very accurate models with photogrammetry. For small objects you can use a turntable to take the photos, then mask out the background in all of the photos using a masking program before processing. Shoot 40 or 50 photos in each rotation, then put the object on it's side and do another 50 photos. The model will then be built in the round so that you have all of it's surfaces. If you process with Agisoft Metashape you can use scale bars with coded targets that are a precise distance apart and are automatically acquired by the software.

Cultural Heritage Imaging has good information on photo acquisition, scale bars, camera systems, etc.
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Hello Prof.,

If you are talking about mechanical/industrial reverse engineering I would suggest Leo Artec or Creaform Go!Spark. Both has geometry identification and can get away without markers, if the scanned object has enough features.

GOM scanners are another option for a turntable.

I would recommend checking out Scantech Simscan. I uses target points but is extremely versatile and compact.
Priority3d
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Chris Christy
Company Details: Priority 3D
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Priority3d »

Dr. Jain,

Have you looked at ZG Technology and their MarvelScan? While it does use targets, it doesn't use them in the traditional sense that most scanners do. It would allow you to scan parts without the need for targets ON the parts you are scanning. It is very fast, very accurate and can digitize parts from very small to very large easily.

https://www.3d-zg.com/MarvelScan-Tracke ... 80314.html

Chris Christy
Priority 3D
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Priority3d wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:43 pm Dr. Jain,

Have you looked at ZG Technology and their MarvelScan? While it does use targets, it doesn't use them in the traditional sense that most scanners do. It would allow you to scan parts without the need for targets ON the parts you are scanning. It is very fast, very accurate and can digitize parts from very small to very large easily.

https://www.3d-zg.com/MarvelScan-Tracke ... 80314.html

Chris Christy
Priority 3D
Hi Chris,

I am intrigued with ZG's twist with their Marvel Scan. Did you get a chance to try it?
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

I didn't know Hexagon Group had acquired ZG Technology... 8-)
Hexagon Group and ZG Technology Co., Ltd. has announced the signing of a shareholding merger agreement to improve its capabilities in the field of 3D data acquisition and further expand Hexagon's solution portfolio in the field of intelligent manufacturing. After the acquisition, ZG will be incorporated into Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence Unit.
Li Hongquan, Senior Vice President of Hexagon Group and President of Greater China, said: “ZG’s 3D digital solution and Hexagon’s existing metrology industry complement each other. We will introduce ZG Technology into Hexagon, and we will work hand in hand to start a new journey. After integration, it can provide users with perfect and comprehensive digital solutions, fully tap the potential of data intelligence, help users improve quality, efficiency and productivity, and open up new horizons in the grand vision of intelligent manufacturing.”
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
mljain
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by mljain »

Dear Chris Christy Priority 3D: Thanks. At this stage I am not aware about ZG, but Good advice, OK I see the suggest site, but as I wrote I am not much interested towards use of markers. Thanks for your interest.

Return to “General Chat”