V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Value of the forum and search

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Just to point out the value of info on this forum.

I have a scene project and inserted a riegl scan as a ptx to place the scene scans according to the riegl coordinate system. Therefore i needed a scanmanager in the cluster for the riegl scan. Didn't know how to do it.

So i searched and found this https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11234thread from 4 years ago that suggested 1 go to the ribbon interface and do some manipulations there that aren't in the classic interface.

Problem solved but just to point out, do a search. A lot has been covered and kudos to the active contributors for all this info.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator

Re: Value of the forum and search

Post by gordonired »

I wish I had done my due diligence and followed your lead.

I just bought a few hundred small checkerboard stickers to use on sites (and as advertisement).

Me being the genius that I am, figured that using engineer grade reflective material would be best. Super reflective white means a nice strong return back to the scanner. Boy was I wrong. No signal at all, not even from the "matte" black squares. A big empty hole in my point cloud.

Going back into the forum, I see guys goofing off about reflective vests not showing up on scanners, and one chap using a reflective poncho to hide himself from the scanner. Similar material to what I used, right there in a post.

I've promised myself that I'll also slog through past posts, and use all sorts of keywords, just to avoid that mistake. Now I have useless stickers to put up around town I guess?
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

When i joined like 9 years ago i was a noob in scanning, only doing land surveying. I bought a tx5 but with no training and i learned to use the software and instrument through this forum.

A lot of advice was then given on a possible purchase of the next instrument, a vz400i.

Now i browse the forum and give my honest opinions about stuff. My workflows are pretty standardized that i don't need the forum as much with questions although the one i posted as a start for this thread was one.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

I've learned loads by trawling the posts of the thanks top 10 list...there's a lot of gold in these hills and the search bar does most of the digging for you!
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm Just to point out the value of info on this forum.

I have a scene project and inserted a riegl scan as a ptx to place the scene scans according to the riegl coordinate system. Therefore i needed a scanmanager in the cluster for the riegl scan. Didn't know how to do it.

So i searched and found this https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11234thread from 4 years ago that suggested 1 go to the ribbon interface and do some manipulations there that aren't in the classic interface.

Problem solved but just to point out, do a search. A lot has been covered and kudos to the active contributors for all this info.
I've been getting great value out of this forum over recent years, hard to believe I've been ten years on here already, time flies when you're having fun! The concentration of expertise, experience and knowledge for all things laser scanning and point clouds on the LSF really is unsurpassed and, while I and a few others shamelessly plug our own products and services from time to time, it is also fantastic that it is vendor neutral and refreshingly critical while still remaining friendly. Kudos once again to Jason and Phil and all the regulars for making this place what it is. :like:
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

When did the stars first appear?! I had to create a new account after I got locked out of my original one so I've lost a fair few!

On the subject of searching, I really like how if you type a Scanning/Software error code into Google (other search engines available...), it is usually the LSF that comes out top of the list. I've even recently used a post from 2012 to solve an issue I had in Cyclone!
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm I have a scene project and inserted a riegl scan as a ptx to place the scene scans according to the riegl coordinate system. Therefore i needed a scanmanager in the cluster for the riegl scan. Didn't know how to do it.
In the classic interface you could launch a c2c registratiom and quickly cancel it. A scan manager will be created and your scans will not have moved. (they didn't give you this trick in that thread :P )
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

stutosney wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:56 am When did the stars first appear?!
Something like 13.6 billion years ago. ;-p

Having not been around quite that long I have to agree with everyone. This community is great. I manage to find time to read almost every post and have learned a lot from so many of them over the years.
Jed
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:35 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm I have a scene project and inserted a riegl scan as a ptx to place the scene scans according to the riegl coordinate system. Therefore i needed a scanmanager in the cluster for the riegl scan. Didn't know how to do it.
In the classic interface you could launch a c2c registratiom and quickly cancel it. A scan manager will be created and your scans will not have moved. (they didn't give you this trick in that thread :P )
Thanks. Didn't know this.
LSBbvba
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “General Chat”