V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: BACKUP FOR RANSOMWARE

Post by badam »

jedfrechette wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 pm
badam wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:05 pm As we are smaller company we just copy the snapshot to an offsite server which also uses zfs filesystem.
Yep same here, we're tiny company as well (less than 10 people).
badam wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:05 pm I'm just curios if anybody uses flash based or hybrid storage server solution to work from them. (We are kinda working from our nas almost everyday, it is somewhat slower, but not that really much.)
Spinning rust on the servers (TrueNAS) here. We're using mirrored VDEVS and can easily saturate the 10G network links to our workstations so I don't think going to flash would provide much benefit for us at this stage.

For some things (mostly photogrammetry) we do work directly off the NAS. The problem we run in to with other process is that some of the applications we use like to store their project data in millions of little tiny files. The network overhead associated with reading and writing all of these little tiny files is obscene and makes working directly over the network impractical. For those workflows it is better to transfer everything over locally, do the work off an NVME drive, and sync back changes.

Truenas here as well. Recently we changed to 3vdev radz2 from 6vdev mirror. To save some storage space. currently only 1G connection but it is planned to upgrade. Tiny files will always be the bottleneck. But i thought we can improve the small file access by going to flash based (or just using metadata vdevs which can store small files, it is an interesting approach to hybrid storage from the zfs community), I didn't have time to test, if it is network or storage server bottleneck. We are using register 360 and it is not that bad through network. import same, export almost same (cleaning can be slower if you have huge corecount). bundle optimization is slightly slower (automatic optimization is off always, no matter what it would just waste of time)

It is offtopic here, But it would be interesting to how other sysadmins/tech savvy peoples handle the huge amount of data when dealing with point clouds.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mikajahkola »

As a rule we have all project data on a NAS and only temporary copies on the workstations.

The NAS is backed up every night by a backup machine with custom built scripts. It wakes up during the night, tests if certain files on our NAS can be opened correctly, and then copies (rsync) all data. After that it checks if there is something marked for archiving, does the archiving and shuts itself down. Archiving is done by copying directories marked for archiving from NAS to two separate archive disks (USB drives), and deleting them from NAS. When the USB drives get full we move one of them to another location and add a new pair of USB drives to the system.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

mikajahkola wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:50 am As a rule we have all project data on a NAS and only temporary copies on the workstations.

The NAS is backed up every night by a backup machine with custom built scripts. It wakes up during the night, tests if certain files on our NAS can be opened correctly, and then copies (rsync) all data. After that it checks if there is something marked for archiving, does the archiving and shuts itself down. Archiving is done by copying directories marked for archiving from NAS to two separate archive disks (USB drives), and deleting them from NAS. When the USB drives get full we move one of them to another location and add a new pair of USB drives to the system.
that usb method seems like a hacky solution. :D And i'm not sure if it is the most space/cost efficient, but sure doesn't have as big upfront cost as a backup/archive server/nas and more flexible. Which is hard to expand sometimes especially when it is using zfs, you can only add new vdev to the pools.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by mikajahkola »

badam wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:58 am that usb method seems like a hacky solution. :D And i'm not sure if it is the most space/cost efficient, but sure doesn't have as big upfront cost as a backup/archive server/nas and more flexible. Which is hard to expand sometimes especially when it is using zfs, you can only add new vdev to the pools.
Hacky solution no doubt but it is open-ended. Currently there are 8 USB drives in the rack and room for another 8. Probably it will never get full because the older ones will be taken offline one by one.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

mikajahkola wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:50 am As a rule we have all project data on a NAS and only temporary copies on the workstations.

Just curious as to the size, speed, and manufacturer of the USB drives (as in 2TB, 1,000 Gbps, Samsung T7)?? Or something else??
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

dhirota wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:22 am

Just curious as to the size, speed, and manufacturer of the USB drives (as in 2TB, 1,000 Gbps, Samsung T7)?? Or something else??
If i would use that solution i'd buy internal hdd-s (10TB or bigger) and put them in a case or a sata backplate.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by mikajahkola »

badam wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:32 am
mikajahkola wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:50 am ...
If i would use that solution i'd buy internal hdd-s (10TB or bigger) and put them in a case or a sata backplate.
Various types. The latest pair I replaced is Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB.
The USB drives are used only for archiving. When a project is no longer active the data is copied from NAS to a pair of identical USB drives and deleted from NAS. In principle any data is only written once to the USB drives and when they get full we add another pair of drives to the rack. One drive from the old USB drive pair remains in the rack and the other is moved to another physical location.

The daily backups are stored on an internal HDD of the backup machine.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

mikajahkola wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:32 pm

The USB drives are used only for archiving. When a project is no longer active the data is copied from NAS to a pair of identical USB drives and deleted from NAS. In principle any data is only written once to the USB drives and when they get full we add another pair of drives to the rack. One drive from the old USB drive pair remains in the rack and the other is moved to another physical location.

Are those USB sticks of 128 or 256GB or external usb drives like 4TB?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by mikajahkola »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:55 pm
mikajahkola wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Are those USB sticks of 128 or 256GB or external usb drives like 4TB?
No USB sticks used. Our backup server has a one small SSD drive for the system, a larger HDD for backup data, and a number of external USB drives that are connected via a large powered USB hub for archiving.

Return to “General Chat”